Top 5 talent

IndyJay1234

Funny how this one play changed everyones opinion on this board. Lets not boil ONE PLAY into a season.

Last year at this time, we were coming off a 31-0 defeat of the patriots, emotions were high and people we reserving hotel rooms in new orleans. We catapaulted to #1 on ESPNs power chart...and then promptly finished 6-10. The reverse is just as likely to occur.

I remain confident that the bills are a good team, and should make the playoffs.

That said, there are some downfalls (i.e. the kicking game)

TD has made his mistakes. Keeping Lindell, Hiring (and keeping) GW to name a couple, but overall, this team is good.

TD has a problem of looking too far into the future. He is always looking 2-3 years ahead, and ignoring the problems of today. How else can you explain McGahee, Losman, Evans, the lack of a kicking game, etc. We play in the here and now and not 3 years from now.

Ultimatly, this IS TD's team...he needs to be able to recognize his mistakes and rectify them. I think he did a marvelous job with the coaching staff this offseason, but still ignored key aspects of the team (Lindell!, Special teams, etc)

There is NO REASON for this team NOT to be a playoff team. I like TD and alot of the things he has done here, but it may be time to cut the strings with him if the team doesnt get it done this year.

Funny how this one play changed everyones opinion on this board. Lets not boil ONE PLAY into a season.

Last year at this time, we were coming off a 31-0 defeat of the patriots, emotions were high and people we reserving hotel rooms in new orleans.  We catapaulted to #1 on ESPNs power chart...and then promptly finished 6-10.  The reverse is just as likely to occur.

I remain confident that the bills are a good team, and should make the playoffs.

That said, there are some downfalls (i.e. the kicking game)

TD has made his mistakes.  Keeping Lindell, Hiring (and keeping) GW to name a couple, but overall, this team is good.

TD has a problem of looking too far into the future.  He is always looking 2-3 years ahead, and ignoring the problems of today.  How else can you explain McGahee, Losman, Evans, the lack of a kicking game, etc.  We play in the here and now and not 3 years from now.

Ultimatly, this IS TD's team...he needs to be able to recognize his mistakes and rectify them.  I think he did a marvelous job with the coaching staff this offseason, but still ignored key aspects of the team (Lindell!, Special teams, etc)

There is NO REASON for this team NOT to be a playoff team.  I like TD and alot of the things he has done here, but it may be time to cut the strings with him if the team doesnt get it done this year.

28398[/snapback]

This is not based on the loss today. I have been on this train all off season!

Milloy is certainly not a top 5 SS. Earlier in his career, yes. But not now.

Spikes is definitely a top 5 OLB playmaker. Same with Moorman as a top 5 P.

This is an interesting argument. I don't agree that you necessarily NEED to have top 5 playmakers at one or more positions in order to be a really good team. But I do think that you need a solid return on the contractual investments you have for each player.

On defense, I think only Milloy is overrated for his contract (but barely).

On offense, however, we have Mike Williams, Trey Teague, Drew Bledsoe, and yes - even Eric Moulds - as guys whose production doesn't match their salary cap numbers. On top of these 4, we are paying Losman, Evans, and McGahee substantial money to ride the bench.

PLEASE do not interpret this as meaning I think all those guys I listed suck. I just think that we are paying them too much for their production levels. That's all. And this poor production return on our offensive investments adds up. It's the reason why we seem to have all these great players but still too many losses. The 2004 Bills suck not because we don't have enough - if any - top 5 playmakers, but rather because those 8 guys I called out are earning various percentages of their contracts that should instead go to shore up the interior of our offensive line.