Official - let's give Tory Woodbury a shot thread

I don't think we should keep Matthews just to have an experienced mentor for Losman. After all, Losman's experienced QB mentor is clearly Wyche, and Kelly Holcomb is still there. Woodbury has also looked strong in practice. Let's give him a shot at #3...He's young, smart, quick, and is mobile.

Hell, if they want to keep Matthews as a mentor, make him an assistant coach.

Oh and as for developing a QB but Woodbury not being it, who else is there? :D

I think we should give Woodbury a shot at #3 QB. If he plays as well as Matthews, why wouldn't we offer Matthews a job as assistant QB coach to help mentor JPL, if that's why we prefer him? (Just saw your post, MBD - - great idea!)

This is all I could find regarding the emergency QB:

AS OF 1995:

The emergency (third) quarterback may now enter the game in just the fourth quarter, regardless if the other two quarterbacks are able to play. This means that if the third string quarterback enters the game, the first and/or second quarterback may re-enter, unlike the past two seasons where the emergency quarterback would only play off the first two were unable to resume play.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.ns...cuments/0-rules

Why on Earth is the official NFL rulebook not available online?!

I think we should give Woodbury a shot at #3 QB.  If he plays as well as Matthews, why wouldn't we offer Matthews a job as assistant QB coach to help mentor JPL, if that's why we prefer him? (Just saw your post, MBD - - great idea!)

Thanks. I think it makes perfect sense. You don't want Matthews for his play, just his brains. Make him an assistant QB coach and go with someone with potential, or at least potential to help in other areas. Like I mentioned with Tom Tupa, who was the punter and 3rd QB for the Jets, it's been done before and makes use of a usually wasted roster spot.