Week 1 & the season

BuffOrange

It's only one game, but this season is toast. The #1 reason I am convinced of this is because the offense did not play NEARLY as BADLY as they're capable of.

Think about it - the running game was slightly better than most expected against a stout run D, Bledsoe generally made good, quick decisions with the ball and didn't make many bonehead plays. Mark my words - when the season is up, this game will NOT go down as one of the offense's 5 worst performances of the year.

And with all of that, they STILL couldn't generate a SINGLE POINT that wasn't handed to them against a team with a 9 game road losing streak.

You want to be one of those people who argues that Jacksonville's defense is underrated, they're going to surprise some people, etc? OK fine - but on their best day they're still not as good as New England or Miami on that side of the ball; so how in the world are we going to score any points against those teams?

If/when Losman is 100% sometime this year, start him immediately if we're not above .500. This defense we have won't be together forever, so lets get the growing pains out of the way before it's too late.

Some other thoughts...

- Mularkey without question made the correct decision on punting. With a 1 or a 2 point lead maybe you try the low % FG - MAYBE. 4 or 7 point lead they need a TD either way. Not that much of a difference IMO - if we can't stop that crappy QB from going 80 yards we don't deserve to win. What would our chances have been anyway going into OT after that drive if we were up 7? Besides, the field position difference is a MINIMUM of 17 yards if you assume the worst case scenerio of a touchback vs. a missed FG. That's a big deal when there's under 2 minutes left. If they don't come down with a miracle catch on 4th down, that decision to punt would've saved the game.

- If you're looking to blame coaching, I would question two things:

1) Why don't you double the opponent's best WR on 3rd&14.

2) Why do you run a fancy reverse on 1st down when you're moving the ball. Same thing with the flea flicker vs. the Colts in the preseason. Those things are drive-killers. Reserve those plays for when the offense is struggling (there will be plenty of opportunities for that) not when you actually have a drive going.

One positive is that Jerry Gray may have had more to do with the defense last year than I thought. Good blitz packages & some nice pressure from Posey.

Although I'm a Travis Henry guy, McGahee has a couple of things over him:

Better vision, and the ability to always fall forward when he's tackled.

Hard to complain about the officiating overall in this game, but did anybody see the holding penalty on Villerial? That was KILLER. CBS of course didn't show it.

Memo to Nate: when the coaches are preaching turnovers in training camp, they're not talking about a 40 yard pass on 4th & 14. Knock the ******* ball down.

Memo to Nate: when the coaches are preaching turnovers in training camp, they're not talking about a 40 yard pass on 4th & 14.  Knock the ******* ball down.

27958[/snapback]

Amen! But you know an interception looks better on ESPN!