Fighting on Iraq-Syria border

I thought this was interesting.

Link

Money quote:

The police fled in November. In mid-June, al-Qa'eda units took over key buildings, including mosques and government offices. "Al-Qa'eda in Iraq" flags were raised.

The city, 240 miles north-west of Baghdad and adjacent to the insurgent centre of Qaim, is so dangerous that soldiers in the US base sleep in bunkers because of mortar and rocket attacks.

Following al-Qa'eda's seizure of the main buildings a number of residents fled. Arkan Salim, 56, who left with his wife and four children, said: "We thought they were patriotic. Now we discovered that they are sick and crazy.

"They interfered in everything, even how we raise our children. They turned the city into hell, and we cannot live in it anymore."

Well, duh.

I thought this was interesting.

Link

Money quote:

Well, duh.

374459[/snapback]

This sort of thing has been going on for quite some time, albeit on a smaller scale. It's not really that suprising - the aims of the nationalist Iraqi fighters are not compatible with those of the foreign maniacs, whose only aim seems to be to turn Iraq into an eternal battleground. Incidentally, you probably haven't heard about this (I think it has only been reported on Arabic language sites) but one of the things mentioned by the newly-formed political front for the Iraqi resistance was that they would "deal with" Zarqawi if an agreement could be reached.

This sort of thing has been going on for quite some time, albeit on a smaller scale. It's not really that suprising - the aims of the nationalist Iraqi fighters are not compatible with those of the foreign maniacs, whose only aim seems to be to turn Iraq into an eternal battleground. Incidentally, you probably haven't heard about this (I think it has only been reported on Arabic language sites) but one of the things mentioned by the newly-formed political front for the Iraqi resistance was that they would "deal with" Zarqawi if an agreement could be reached.

374471[/snapback]

Thats pretty well known, just not often mentioned. There could be some bravado and manipulation involved. They are basically saying that "you give us x-y-z demands on Sunni representation, we can hand over Zarquawi". No doubt they are in a better position to do so, but whether they really can is another issue. I've brought it up before that there are two distinctly different wars going on in Iraq. Doesn't fit the media format here. And rather than try to fully explain it, we get rhetoric. I can't really blame the administration, no one is willing to listen.

Thats pretty well known, just not often mentioned. There could be some bravado and manipulation involved. They are basically saying that "you give us x-y-z demands on Sunni representation, we can hand over Zarquawi". No doubt they are in a better position to do so, but whether they really can is another issue. I've brought it up before that there are two distinctly different wars going on in Iraq. Doesn't fit the media format here. And rather than try to fully explain it, we get rhetoric. I can't really blame the administration, no one is willing to listen.

374479[/snapback]

Zarqawi may have overplayed his hand by having a tribal sheik killed. Tribal loyalty is extremely strong in Al-Anbar province - even Saddam was wary when dealing with them. I think the administration is more or less admitting your point about there being two different wars in Iraq, by meeting with leaders of the Iraqi insurgency. They're making a distinction between the homegrown insurgency, with which they can at least negotiate with and the foreign fanatics, with whom no negotiation is possible.

Zarqawi may have overplayed his hand by having a tribal sheik killed. Tribal loyalty is extremely strong in Al-Anbar province - even Saddam was wary when dealing with them. I think the administration is more or less admitting your point about there being two different wars in Iraq, by meeting with leaders of the Iraqi insurgency. They're making a distinction between the homegrown insurgency, with which they can at least negotiate with and the foreign fanatics, with whom no negotiation is possible.

374490[/snapback]

Pretty well. It's been off my "official" radar for a while, but from what I keep up with, this has been developing. It wasn't THAT long ago a certain Shia Cleric was on the enemy number one list, and now he's been brought into the fold. Things are coming together over there, there are going to be growing pains and growing fatalities, for that matter, but we, and the new Iraqi government are winning. Most people can't see that for whatever reason. The plan is coming together, and a lot faster than at least I ever thought it would.

Oh, and BTW? (aimed in general, not just at you, Chicot) We're winning the war on terror, too. I'm pretty impressed with the progress thus far.

Things are coming together over there, there are going to be growing pains and growing fatalities, for that matter, but we, and the new Iraqi government are winning. Most people can't see that for whatever reason. The plan is coming together, and a lot faster than at least I ever thought it would.

Oh, and BTW? (aimed in general, not just at you, Chicot) We're winning the war on terror, too. I'm pretty impressed with the progress thus far.

374504[/snapback]

BUT

BUT

BUT

it's a QUAGMIRE!!!!!!!!

Paula Zahn said so.

;)