Cesar Chavez Day

Today,here in Cali,we are taking official note of a great man.Cesar Chavez. I don't think Cesar Chavez Day is recognized nationally,but it should be. Chavez represented all that is good in the labor movement.He fought for basic human rights like bathroom breaks and clean drinking water ,as well as better pay and benefits for the hard working men and women that help feed us all. Today many people still work much too hard for way too little. We all need to remember Cesar Chavez and keep in mind that lots of good,decent,hard working people still struggle in this country. Cesar believed it can and should be better. Si se Puede!

Back in the mid-80s, I got a letter in the mail (probably a bill but that's not relevent to the story) and someone had stamped "boycott grapes" on the back. I did some digging (sure could have used Google back then) and found out how crappy the farm workers in california had it (some still have it crappy to this day). Chavez' campaign was successful in getting a good number of pesticides banned from use.