Great job - still room for improvement

SouthernMan

First, I need to say I'm thrilled with a win on opening day. The team deserves some respect. Still, I have a few concerns that I hope are addressed.

1. wasted play calling - CJ up the middle is usually the equivalent of giving up one of the four downs. When he runs east-west, he hesitates too long to make his cut. NFL defenders are too fast and close in quickly. When he gets an opening, he can be a real threat to go all the way, but he's too reliant on there being a gaping hole. Trade bait. If you disagree, here's the question - what is his value in a trade? Maybe a 3rd rounder?

2. Not trying to be overly harsh on EJ who did a decent job, but he consistently throws the pass behind crossing receivers and too high on the long balls. If he would throw the ball about 3 feet beyond where he thinks it needs to be, the receivers on slant patterns will stretch out their arms in stride and have a chance for some runs after catch yardage.

3. Where's Sammy? When are they going to unveil their star WR? Haven't seen them make much use of him in preseason or game 1. Other than the overthrown ball on the long ball, he didn't have much opportunity to show off his talents we heard so much about in training camp.

4. Dixon - wow! What a run. Kudos to him for wrapping the ball up and protecting it with both arms when it was inevitable that the defenders would soon catch up to him before the made it to the end zone.

5. When are we going to see the tight end used as a receiver? Championship teams use TE/LB mismatches to gain an advantage. For years, it's been one of the Patriots strengths. Chandler didn't have his best game, but I think he'll be used more in the future.

6. EJ had his share of tipped balls in preseason. Are they now afraid to go over the middle or use slant patterns for fear of being intercepted or tipped?

7. Defensive line was not in top form. Cutler had too much time in the pocket too often.

On the plus side - the Bills didn't throw in the towel when the Bears came back and tied the game. That's huge. That shows they had a winner's mentality. That tenacity can be the difference in those close games that determine whether they're a playoff team or not.

Bring on the Dolphins.