Public Opinion Poll on the Sammy Watkins Trade

Public Opinion on Sammy Watkins Trade  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Sammy Watkins trade?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Why?

• Too expensive - the trade was one-sided
    • I don't like mortgaging the future
    • I think Sammy Watkins is overrated
    • He's worth it

WHAT?? Mortgage the future how? How long are people willing for the Bills to half-ass it? 14 years, man. 14. I’m glad Whaley and Brandon felt the urgency. No one knows a year out what the NFL draft will be in 2015. It could be a “weak” draft. Then what? What if EJ is great? If he’s not do you know for sure there’s a QB available in round one that is a round one QB? I recall many saying last year that this year’s QB’s would be so great. And now it doesn’t look like it. The Bills have a 2015 2nd round pick. Drew Brees and Andy Dalton were 2nd round picks. You like Colin Kaepernick? 2nd round. I didn’t know round one was the only place to get a QB.

I don’t know a damn thing about what might be available in 2015. I do know we have a proven, elite physical talent for the next five seasons at least, health permitting. And nobody can sit here and say the Bills didn’t need a player like that. Mortgage the future… Hell the future is now. Or did we forget about new ownership on its way? Or forget 14 years of nothing?

The Bills haven't had a quarterback since Kelly. The Bills don't have a quarterback now. If they'd gone all in like this on a trade for a quarterback, no one would be happier than me. (Assuming the quarterback was a polished pocket passer in college; and not some "raw" guy with great physical gifts.)

I suspect Watkins will be very good, but not A.J. Green good. He may be good enough to make Manuel look better than he is; thus adding one or more years to the Manuel experiment.

Don't get me wrong. The Bills aren't exactly bursting with elite players. Watkins could be elite. But even if this trade makes sense tactically, I don't see how it makes sense strategically, given the Bills' quarterback situation.

Of course, if I'm wrong about the Bills' QB situation, and Doug Whaley is right, then the Watkins trade makes a ton more sense.

100 out about 14,000 members

I was hoping for a larger sample size.

It seems like most people are pleased with the move. I feel like I dislike it more with moving SJ to SF. It seems more like a personality clash. You don't talk about adding weapons around EJ then simultaneously get rid of your first ever back-to-back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons WR.

I hope it all works out, but my pessimism keeps me skeptical.

Now let's see how pick number two unfolds.