Back by popular demand: Soccer (USMNT)

Cugalabanza

Cug: Actually, Mexico is currently in fifth place and isn't even in position for the inter-continental playoff against New Zealand. That honor goes to Panama, who is Mexico's next opponent on Match Day 9. Mexico HAS to win as even a draw will almost certainly knock them out of the World Cup. Panama will be heading into Azteca knowing that they only need a draw and that Mexico will have the most unbearable pressure on them.

I honestly expected that Mexico would find a way but the more I see of them, the more I question them. At this point, they don't deserve to go and even if they face the Kiwis, I'm not sure they will win that playoff. Last night would have been uglier if US didn't have their suspension and injury issues. Hell, even Dempsey is out of form.

As for the US, big win again that displays the depth of the program. I've done a complete 180 on Beckerman. I hated seeing him on Bob Bradley's teams but Klinsmann has stuck with him from day one. Honestly, if everyone is healthy, I would prefer Beckerman with Bradley as opposed to Jones. Bradley is the engine that powers the US and Jones tries to be that too.

Here's the 23 Players I'd Select as of Today:

G: Howard, Guzan, Rimando

CB: Besler, Gonzalez, Goodson, Brooks

LB/RB: Cameron, Chandler, Beasley, Castillo

CM: Bradley, Jones, Diskerud, Beckerman

AM: Donovan, Zusi, Bedoya, F. Johnson

CF: Dempsey, Johannsson

ST: Altidore, E. Johnson

Ah, I see you're right about Mexico being in fifth. Mexico and Panama both have 8 points--I guess Panama holds the tiebreaker (I'm not even sure how that works because they have the same goal diff. too). Anyway, yes, El Tri are in deep doodoo.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, including Beckerman. He's been excellent whenever they've needed him this summer. I like the idea of Diskerud as a sub too. I really love his game. He has such great instincts with his passing. Good things seem to happen when he finds the ball.

I like your picks for the final rosters. I feel good about all the positions excep the outside backs. I don't have so much confidence in these guys. Chandler has really done nothing for the USMNT. I don't know at this point when he'll get a chance to make a spot for himself. He is hugely talented though. Whatever happened to Cherundolo? Beasley deserves a special medal for all the hard work he has put in, but there just has to be something better for a starter on the left side. Against a top team, I'm afraid he will get chewed up. I think Parkhurst still has a chance to be there, but I don't know.

Anyway, the U.S. is looking better than I thought possible a year or so ago.

Ah, I see you're right about Mexico being in fifth. Mexico and Panama both have 8 points--I guess Panama holds the tiebreaker (I'm not even sure how that works because they have the same goal diff. too). Anyway, yes, El Tri are in deep doodoo.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, including Beckerman. He's been excellent whenever they've needed him this summer. I like the idea of Diskerud as a sub too. I really love his game. He has such great instincts with his passing. Good things seem to happen when he finds the ball.

I like your picks for the final rosters. I feel good about all the positions excep the outside backs. I don't have so much confidence in these guys. Chandler has really done nothing for the USMNT. I don't know at this point when he'll get a chance to make a spot for himself. He is hugely talented though. Whatever happened to Cherundolo? Beasley deserves a special medal for all the hard work he has put in, but there just has to be something better for a starter on the left side. Against a top team, I'm afraid he will get chewed up. I think Parkhurst still has a chance to be there, but I don't know.

Anyway, the U.S. is looking better than I thought possible a year or so ago.

The second tiebreaker is goals for, which Panama has three more than Mexico.

I like Mix a lot, especially with Holden's career being derailed by injuries. I'm actually shocked he only plays in Norway. He's a quality player and I expect he will make a big move after the World Cup (if not sooner).

I agree about the outside backs too. Parkhurst was my last cut, I picked Castillo instead because he brings more offensive spark from the back. Cherundolo has had knee issues but if he's healthy and fit, he would bump Castillo or Chandler.

Here's how I see the pecking order:

Book Your Ticket:

G: Howard, Guzan, Rimando

CB: Besler, Gonzalez

LB/RB: Cameron, Beasley

CM: Bradley, Jones, Diskerud

AM: Donovan, F. Johnson

CF: Dempsey

ST: Altidore

Start Making Plans:

CB: Goodson

CM: Beckerman

CF: Johannsson

ST: E. Johnson

Still Could Be Replaced:

CB: Brooks

LB/RB: Chandler, Castillo

AM: Zusi, Bedoya

Potential Replacements (In Order of Preference):

DEF: Cherundolo*, Parkhurst, Evans, Lichaj, Orozco, Onyewu, Bocanegra

MID: Holden*, Shea, Kljestan, Davis, Corona, Edu, Torres, D. Williams

FOR: Agudelo, Wondo, Gomez, Boyd

One wildcard would be DeAndre Yedlin. He's young but will be a staple at the outside back position for many cycles to come. He might be ready by next summer.

Edited by PTS