Ancestry.com and/or Genealogy

ajzepp

I found out that my great great grandfather, who share's my First and last name was a general in the civil war and fought in Gettysburg. Then I looked up the name and someone created Wikipedia page for him. So now, when I meet a new young lady and she Googles me, you always get googled these days, having that pop up is pretty damn cool.

I think so. As ancestry goes, I think we are more German than any other. There was a link I have... I think I have it bookmarked @ work. When I find it, I will post it here. Note, this also includes our early history too. Not just the big Eastern European influx in the 1880's and beyond.

Anyway... That was sure as hell awkward... But I didn't sense bitterness. The rest of the family (older ones... Sons and daughter) seems a little more standoffish. I chalked it up to be dead honest... She lived through a lot! She loved children and took a great shine to my children. War, Europe in shambles and then making a new life in the US. The strange part was, even in the late 1990's she had her phone in her husband's name! I knew that because of the caller ID... I asked my wife and her friend about! He never made it here, but old school habits (husband's name) still took hold! Interesting to say the least.

Anyway... Since moving here... Had some other interesting stories. Used to be a man that walked the neighborhood... I asked my Serbian neighbor (the one who just passed away) who he was... He told me his story. Displaced from Europe... After WWII and ended up here... German. Was taken refuge here and ended up on a bus in the late 1940's... The bus driver dropped him off and said: "Here, there is a lot of Germans in this town!" Wow... He started working @ the Thornton quarry, married and built a life. I think he passed away (or went to live w/his children in old age) about 13 years ago or so... Interesting to say the least.

See this is why I've always found non-fiction stuff more interesting than fiction. The stories that people have are far more interesting than most of the stuff that people can just make up in their heads lol. It's also a reminder of the degree to which so many of us take life for granted these days. It just pales in comparison to what those who came before us had to endure, and in many ways we're the beneficiaries of their struggles. People are incredibly interesting...

I found out that my great great grandfather, who share's my First and last name was a general in the civil war and fought in Gettysburg. Then I looked up the name and someone created Wikipedia page for him. So now, when I meet a new young lady and she Googles me, you always get googled these days, having that pop up is pretty damn cool.

:lol:

So now, when I meet a new young lady and she Googles me, you always get googled these days, having that pop up is pretty damn cool.

Interesting. When I google me I get among results (some invalid):

1 person named Glenn Host in the US | WhitePages

And it actually is right person too.

I have never tried to hide my name in phone books, etc but surprised this is only "Glenn Host" listed.