The Future of the Bills....

Mooshocker

Great day to be a Bill's fan. Heck, anytime we win is a great day to be a Bill's fan, however, as many of you have suggested, there really seems to be a welcomed sense of renewed hope and optimism in the air.

I have been a die hard Bill's fan since 1980. Due to the military "goings on" that year, I was even married on January 28, 1991 versus the following week. A TV was brought into the reception hall and in between smootching after the clanking of wine glasses with forks and knives, all eyes were glued to the greatest sporting event ever televised.

That said, I always seemed to enter every new NFL season with optimism. "This was going to be the year". Year after year! Over the past three or four seasons, I have found myself thinking less about a successful season and more about what portion of the team/organization will blow up this year.

This year just feels different. I don't get the party line rhetoric from Marrone, Whaley or Brandon. I was very pleased to see a bunch of Sean Payton's brought onboard versus George Sieferts. Knowing how thin we were at LB and WR, we actually addressed those concerns during the draft and via off season trades and FA's. We landed a franchise QB. A real franchise QB. Not some surfer dude of kid who wanted to be like Favre versus himself.

Today, while watching the game, although position battles were important to keep an eye on, I really wanted to go against the grain and look at our play calling and clock management. I wanted to see a good shuffle of players and a comittment to playing to our strengths, especially on offense.

I truly saw a lot of positives within all of these areas. Marrone "coached" his young QB through some early jitters. He "coached" his second string rookie to a very impressive display of talent and maturity. Having a 33 year old OC is refreshing. Truly.

So how do i see our Bill's of the Future (you will find my prediction very pedestrian).......something like this:

1. We will win a couple games we shouldn't have;

2. We will lose a couple games we shouldn't have;

3. We will suffer our fair share of injuries and/or individual player letdowns;

4. We will most likely make some questionable cuts prior to the season;

5. We will not make the Super Bowl this season, from a realistic probability standpoint;

6. We will, however, drastically improve our play;

7. We will be coached from a 21st Century viewpoint;

8. We will probably finish ~8-8 this season;

9. We will be a true contender next season........if:

1. We stop allowing consistently productive players (Levitre) leave at the end of their contract(s), especially without getting anything in return via trade, draft pick, compensatory picks, etc.;

2. We continue to plug the holes, such as CB and RG. Honestly, I do not believe we have any greater holes on our team. And even so, currently our CB and RG position could be a lot worse;

3. Run the ball!!!!!!!! If Nate is a man of his word, Spiller should need IV's at the end of each game;

4. Don't put EJ, CJ, TJ, SJ in low percentage situations, such as: 3rd and 2 and try a 30 yard pass. 2nd and 8 and run a 3 yard fade, etc.....you know what I am talking about;

5. Finally, play to your players strengths. Don't be afraid to make a change and don't be afraid to take a risk or two. Risk brings people closer. It builds trust and confidence no matter what the outcome.

Well, that's my soap box. Again, great day for all of us and most importantly, NO INJURIES DURING A MEANINGLESS GAME!!!! Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Bill's.

I agree the future looks bright however let's hope their one massive off season mistakes doesn't hurt this team.

They knew they were gonna draft a QB and try to get talent WR, why weaken the O-line and let Levitre go and keep Byrd? They should have paid the O-linemen and let the safety go. Having a good strong o-line with a young QB is more important than the safety position.

I fear our O-line could harm the development.