Coordinators Don't Stick Around Long Enough

ChasBB

I know that it's the norm to allow assistant coaches to leave for head coaching jobs, but it sure makes it tough to keep good coordinators around for very long. Look at Clements -- he was nearly gone after a single season had Notre Dame wanted him. What kind of committment is that -- one season?! I like the policy of allowing assistants out of their contracts to advance to head coaching positions, but I'd like to see this policy adjusted somewhat. For example, if an assistant has served less than 2 years with his current team, he may not be contacted by other teams for head coaching positions if he's still under contract. Jerry Gray has been with the Bills for 4 seasons now and has earned the right to leave (though I sure hate to see him go). It's just that with coordinators coming and going every season it's nearly impossible for a team to get any continuity going. A new coordinator comes in with a new scheme and it's practically like starting over again. Like I said, I like the policy, but I think it's time for NFL owners to tighten it just a little bit.

The market says no. Particularly if you want the best candidates for co-ordinator they are going to sign a contract that allows them to take off for a better position outside of the NFL. The policy actually is right now that no team can offer (or even talk) contract with another coach under contract. The offers that folks like Clements considered and Weis got were from outside the NFL and not governed by NFL policy.

In the free market a team can certainly make an agreement which stops an assistant from stepping up to an HC position in college, but the market has dictated that if an NFL team makes this part of the contract, the best assistants will pass on being an NFL co-ordinator under these circumstances.

The NFL does have a policy exception by which African-American coaches can interview for and take promotions from other teams. However, as I am sure you know this policy came about to reverse years of racist practices which not only is bad business in which the majority white community will no longer be the majority in the not to distant future, but even today people of color represent a significant economic force the NFL wants to sell its product to. In addition to being bad business these race based practices hurt teams on the field as the could not sign the best players for the best positions due to a non-athletic factor.

For anyone who ignores reality enough to argue this point simply look at the fact African-American players were barred from the QB position and then when this barrier was breached A-A players have relatively quickly occupied a growing share of stardom at this position. The fact that this treatment has a long term effect and still impacts the league is seen in the number of AA HCs as compared to the openings in the league and the pool of A-A players. By business and moral fairness this policy will not change and based on competition in the free market the situation regarding college coaching jobs will not change either.