Not to knock outstanding personal efforts...

ColdBlueNorth

but I was thinking about all the attention given to Byrd and having his effort tied to comments about the defense playing better.

I must be a serious "glass half full" guy because I cannot shake the thought that if you have the right defense called, and guys are in the right spots making the correct reads, do you really require super-human individual defensive efforts to defend a pass.

What I am not sure of is whether the defense and the scheme under Wanny has improved, or whether the Miami game was just an example of individual defensive players making outstanding plays despite the design, coaching, and execution of our current defense. I guess that is why I have to see how our defense performs over the next 2 games before I believe they are coming together as a successful unit under Wanny.

On another note, man that DE Smith from the 49ers is good. He looks too small for the position, almost a similar frame to Maybin, but he has true strength and leverage:) It was redonkulous watching him forklift Carimi on a bull rush right into Campbell last night, or stutterstep and simply juke the same Carimi leaving his jock spinning on the field. Why the Bears did not put two guys on him is beyond me, but I would hate to be a QB behind those softies. I don't see Lovie Smith lasting after this season.

The defense has improved. What changed? Kyle Moore was in place of Kelsay. McKelvin instead of A. Williams at CB. No opinions, just facts. Now for my opinion. Kelsay and Williams were the weakest links on the D. Now they are gone, the D is stacked. Moore even landed on the top 10 list for most QB pressures per pass rush. Now, If every player is good and does his job, even the worst defensive scheme can work. If only they'd replace Kelvin Sheppard, this might actually be a top 10 defense.

As for the DE Smith. Do you mean Aldon or Justin? They are both stellar. But comparing either to Maybin seems like a horrible insult. Those guys are both all-pro potential and are WAY bigger and heavier.

The defense has improved. What changed? Kyle Moore was in place of Kelsay. McKelvin instead of A. Williams at CB. No opinions, just facts. Now for my opinion. Kelsay and Williams were the weakest links on the D. Now they are gone, the D is stacked. Moore even landed on the top 10 list for most QB pressures per pass rush. Now, If every player is good and does his job, even the worst defensive scheme can work. If only they'd replace Kelvin Sheppard, this might actually be a top 10 defense.

As for the DE Smith. Do you mean Aldon or Justin? They are both stellar. But comparing either to Maybin seems like a horrible insult. Those guys are both all-pro potential and are WAY bigger and heavier.

I was thinking of Aldon, who's build to me looked more like a linebackers than an end, and has been listed as a LB on some sites. He is 6'4" 258 lbs, which is in the LB range, Maybin was 6'4" and around 240-250 range as well. Just comparing a player who has incredible strength and leverage for his size to one that never did. And it just seemed amazing and funny to me watching a smaller guy lift Carimi out of his shoes and onto his can, or into Campbell's lap.

Obviously we cannot compare their play on the field as being similar.