Nix trusts Gailey

Homer

I always hear about how the team was devoid of talent when Nix got here, and yet Nix stated the team was "not that far away" ! Jauron managed to get three back to back 7-9 years out of almost the exact same players handed to Nix / Gailey

I find it oddly amusing, in a sad as hell kind of way, to think an absolute offensive moron in Dick Jauon with a complete boob for an OC in Turk Schonert managed to win more games with a QB that everyone now considers one of the worst Bills QB's ever in Trent Edwards.

Nix / Gailey took over and made the team worse by going 4-12, same QB's, same players, worse team. New coaches, new scheme. On another note, Jim Harbaugh takes over a bad SF 6-10 team, and turns them into a 13-3 team in a year with a strike shortened off season.

The start of the 2010 season the players looked inept and out of sync, sound familiar?

It's a "win now" league. A franchise has to hit the ground in a full-out sprint and turn the culture around on a dime. Not just because of impatience from ownership but because of free agency. Players know they are lucky to play out a couple of contracts and if they are serious about wanting to win, why sign your second contract with a team going nowhere, with no national exposure, etc.? Maybe if the team overpays heavily and winning championships is secondary to filling the bank account. When your GM takes the job and says things like he doesn't know how long it will take, because it is going to be very, very hard to turn it around, he's already hedging against success in his own mind.

The politically correct answer is always an upbeat catchy cliche. Plays to the fan base and corporate all at once.

Not critcizing Buddy. Heck he might have believed it himself.

And then he got down to work. I dont hear much malarkey from him lately.

Dont misunderstand me on this one. I am a Buddy fan but he did say that. Fear the Beard was making the point and i was recalling my viewpoint at the time.

I think we are mostly headed in the right direction. But we have some nagging flaws and Last Sunday rubbed salt in it.

But poor brandon was under a lot of pressue back then and would have been hospitalized with some announcement such .

" Wow. and i mean Wow. Do we have alot of work to do here or what? " : )

But poor brandon was under a lot of pressue back then and would have been hospitalized with some announcement such .

" Wow. and i mean Wow. Do we have alot of work to do here or what? " : )

The GM had the initials Marv Levy. (As far as I know, Brandon was not hospitalized when Marv was hired.) He was on NFL Radio after he took the GM job and said it was going to be really, really hard to turn things around in Buffalo. While there is no doubt this is factually true, would it not be better to visualize being on top of the mountain than wondering how the hell you're ever going to climb it?

Nix entered the job with proclamations that played well with those wanting to hear "stay the course" music. "Call me crazy, but I don't think we're that far away."

I guess they can't come in and say " folks this is going to take 3 plus years and there might be setbacks ".

: )

The point is that there are plenty of examples where a regime change has very much reinvigorated a team and turned a struggling team into a good team immediately. In another thread, there were comparisons between the 49ers and Bills, for instance. Jim Harbaugh has coached 17 regular season games for what was a bad 49ers team and they are now being considered one of the elite teams in the NFL. It might be interesting to compare the Redskins and Seahawks to the Bills after this season plays out to see where each is after 3 years as well.

Fear the Beard, you are right that's exactly what Nix said. and that was utter BS.

The sad part of that was Iwanted very badly to believe him

What escapes you guys is Nix was 100% right, they weren't that far away! After all, a bum like Jauron got them to 7-9. So many posters here were literally in disbelief and shock that Chan Gailey couldn't do better then what jauron had done.

Gaileys faults are almost the same as Jauron's in his failure to hire the right assistant coaches. If you recall he hired a bunch of his college coaching buddies to become NFL assistant coaches on the Bills staff, these men are from his days as HC of Georgia Tech.

But Gaileys biggest moronic move was his hiring an experienced NFL DC, but one who was a complete boob in George Edwards. Plus the switch from 4-3 to a 3-4 without the proper personnel. Now DC's like Mike Nolan, Dom Capers, Wade Phillips might have been able to pull that off, Edwards couldn't. In fact his defense was so bad against the run he set a franchise record for worst defense in the 50+ year history of the franchise.

The team really wasn't that far away, all they needed was a proper RT instead of Cornell Green, and making Fitz the starter to begin with. Then they should have drafted a RT in the draft instead of Spiller. In the last 3 years found a top QB to draft or one in free agency to compete against Fitz to push him or let him sit when he is injured.

It is my belief that if the owner had let Buddy Nix hire Marty Schottenheimer instead of Gailey the team would have gotten better instead of worse as Marty knew what coaches to hire. Last year or this year the Bills would certainly be playoff bound

What escapes you guys is Nix was 100% right, they weren't that far away! After all, a bum like Jauron got them to 7-9. So many posters here were literally in disbelief and shock that Chan Gailey couldn't do better then what jauron had done.

This is true. The general consensus around here anyway was that Gailey could not possibly do any worse than Jauron had done. It was "inconceivable"! Yet, that is exactly what happened. Twice.

Gaileys faults are almost the same as Jauron's in his failure to hire the right assistant coaches. If you recall he hired a bunch of his college coaching buddies to become NFL assistant coaches on the Bills staff, these men are from his days as HC of Georgia Tech.

But Gaileys biggest moronic move was his hiring an experienced NFL DC, but one who was a complete boob in George Edwards. Plus the switch from 4-3 to a 3-4 without the proper personnel. Now DC's like Mike Nolan, Dom Capers, Wade Phillips might have been able to pull that off, Edwards couldn't. In fact his defense was so bad against the run he set a franchise record for worst defense in the 50+ year history of the franchise.

The team really wasn't that far away, all they needed was a proper RT instead of Cornell Green, and making Fitz the starter to begin with. Then they should have drafted a RT in the draft instead of Spiller. In the last 3 years found a top QB to draft or one in free agency to compete against Fitz to push him or let him sit when he is injured.

It is my belief that if the owner had let Buddy Nix hire Marty Schottenheimer instead of Gailey the team would have gotten better instead of worse as Marty knew what coaches to hire. Last year or this year the Bills would certainly be playoff bound

I don't buy that it was Wilson's call, actually. Marty believes in a single leader model and he is not going to sit in the back seat and let his fate be decided by others. This caused problems in San Diego, problems that Nix saw for himself.