Difficulty: Easy

Submitted by: CAWingNut

Ingredients:

2 lbs flank steak

1 lb bok choy cabbage shredded with a knife

1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced

1 cup/can sauerkraut, drained

2 scallions finely chopped

4 large cloves garlic chopped, divided 2 TBSP McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 TBSP honey, divided

2 tsp hot red pepper flakes, divided

2 tsp sesame oil

2 TBSP vegetable oil

Cooking Instructions:

Marinade: In a shallow dish, combine 2 TBSP grill seasoning, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 TBSP honey, 1 tsp hot red pepper flakes, 2 cloves of the chopped garlic, sesame oil, 2 finely chopped scallions and a drizzle of vegetable oil. After you've removed the skin-like fat off the flank steak, coat it in the mixture and let stand for 10 minutes.

Preheat your electric, stove top grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high. Once it's good and hot, cook the meat 5 minutes each side for medium rare, or 7-8 minutes each side for medium well. You want to let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing it, so this is a good time to make the slaw.

Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add 2 TBSP vegetable oil, and the remaining 2 chopped cloves of garlic. Careful not to burn them, just release the flavor for a minute or so. Add the shredded cabbage and thinly sliced peppers, season with some salt and stir fry for 2 or 3 minutes. Add a drizzle of honey (1 TBSP), the remaining hot pepper flakes (1 tsp) and toss to combine with the cabbage. Add sauerkraut and mix in, heating it through for a minute. Turn off the heat.

After letting the meat rest, thinly slice it on a heavy angle against the grain.

Serving Suggestions:

Pile the slaw up, then top with the BBQ steak. Serves 4.

Additional Comments:

I hesitate to add Korean recipes because of some of the specialty items needed. I saw this recipe on RR's 30 min meals, and tried it. It's very close to the flavor of Korean BBQ - the marinade has all the basics, and the cabbage/kraut with red pepper is sort of a kimchi flavor, without being overwhelming. A hint of the spicyness you get with Korean food, but mild enough my kids could still eat it. I would think this would be a good low-carb recipe too. If there's any interest in this, perhaps I'll add some authentic Korean recipes.