The John Elway vs. Tim Tebow Story

Easily one of the most interesting stories in the NFL in 2011-2012. It's clear that Elway in not sold on Tebow and given some of his performances, perhaps he is not completely wrong. I was watching ESPN a few days ago and they were talking about this, here's basically what they said.

According to them after Denver went 1-4, Elway was sure the team could not be a contender. He decided to release the team starting QB (Orton) and trade their best WR (Brandon Lloyd) and was going to "suck for Luck," and select the big armed, Standford prototype passer. Luck was Elway's guy and also happened to go to his alma matter. Elway allegedly persuaded coach John Fox to start the #3 QB Tim Tebow the week after Orton was released, thinking he'd fall on his face causing fans to jump off the bandwagon. But the opposite happened. Tebow played with a tremendous amount of heart and perseverance despite not being at a passing skill level of most NFL QB's. The result was a huge win streak that extended into the postseason with a victory. Not only did Tebow screw up Elways "grand plan" costing him a shot at draft a blue chip prospect at QB like Luck, but he won a playoff victory against the #1 defense in the NFL and gained a crapload of momentum behind "Tebowmania."

Say what you will - but this is why I cheer a guy like Tim Tebow. He's not a great pocket passer but he's a special type of player that plays with more determination than most players in the league. I'm really hoping to see this young man succeed next season!

Easily one of the most interesting stories in the NFL in 2011-2012. It's clear that Elway in not sold on Tebow and given some of his performances, perhaps he is not completely wrong. I was watching ESPN a few days ago and they were talking about this, here's basically what they said.

According to them after Denver went 1-4, Elway was sure the team could not be a contender. He decided to release the team starting QB (Orton) and trade their best WR (Brandon Lloyd) and was going to "suck for Luck," and select the big armed, Standford prototype passer. Luck was Elway's guy and also happened to go to his alma matter. Elway allegedly persuaded coach John Fox to start the #3 QB Tim Tebow the week after Orton was released, thinking he'd fall on his face causing fans to jump off the bandwagon. But the opposite happened. Tebow played with a tremendous amount of heart and perseverance despite not being at a passing skill level of most NFL QB's. The result was a huge win streak that extended into the postseason with a victory. Not only did Tebow screw up Elways "grand plan" costing him a shot at draft a blue chip prospect at QB like Luck, but he won a playoff victory against the #1 defense in the NFL and gained a crapload of momentum behind "Tebowmania."

Say what you will - but this is why I cheer a guy like Tim Tebow. He's not a great pocket passer but he's a special type of player that plays with more determination than most players in the league. I'm really hoping to see this young man succeed next season!

Thanks for paraphrasing the story. That has been a popular theory since Tebow's promotion and Orton's release. Quick question: When you say "according to them" do you mean the ESPN analysts/reporters who commented in the story? Was there a source behind it or was it just ESPN's conjecture?

Thanks for paraphrasing the story. That has been a popular theory since Tebow's promotion and Orton's release. Quick question: When you say "according to them" do you mean the ESPN analysts/reporters who commented in the story? Was there a source behind it or was it just ESPN's conjecture?

Yeah pretty much - this is what the commentators were saying. It was a panel discussion, and Skip Bayless was one of the guys sharing this theory.

Also it should be noted that when Tebow was named the starter after Orton's release he was listed as the #3 QB on the depth chart. He leapfrogged Brady Quinn was officially named the backup QB. How often does this happen?

Yeah pretty much - this is what the commentators were saying. It was a panel discussion, and Skip Bayless was one of the guys sharing this theory.

Also it should be noted that when Tebow was named the starter after Orton's release he was listed as the #3 QB on the depth chart. He leapfrogged Brady Quinn was officially named the backup QB. How often does this happen?

Not often, but considering how abysmal Tebow was in the preseason he definitely deserved to be there. Of course, Quinn has never set anyone's pants on fire with his play - he wasn't an upper echelon backup like Flynn.

I'm wary of anything Bayless says about Tebow considering his monstrous man crush for Tim.