The real reasons why

I am not too political but have decided to start of series of threads on this board. The twist is that although they will be interesting and topical, the opinions in them will probably cut across political lines.

Enough of the intro. The first addition in this series is about cell phone use in cars. This could be talking, e-mail, texting browsing, gaming, whatever. I find it interesting that so many states are making laws about this stuff. Here are some of the factors I feel are behind it all:

Anti-legislation thoughts of mine:

1. Governments in general are anti-business and anything they can do to stop or slow down business they will do. You can do fewer deals if you can't talk while in transit. This is what some government officials want.

2. People who support this stuff are mostly just jealous and/or insecure. They drive around and see people talking on the phone but they aren't talking on the phone. Maybe they see a competitor and he is talking on the phone. They are nervous and jealous that they will lose business, or just that nobody wants to call them. I see no reason to cow-plow to these people because they are insecure. Tell them to man up.

3. The talk radio and music industry lobbies want you listening to the radio and are buying off local politicians.

4. The spandex mafia is constantly trying to tell everyone that bikes=cars. The laws of physics notwithstanding, they will still argue their ridiculous "point". Well you don't see very many tubs-of-lards with a 7-11 spandex shirt on pedaling down the road talking on the phone do you? You know why? Because they can't. It takes two hands to use a bike and you can steer a car with your legs if you are talking and eating at the same time. If people are allowed to use their phones the spandexers realize they will eventually end up driving on less densely traveled roads than they do now and won't get to flaunt their stupid outfits to the general public. This can't happen soon enough.

Pro-legislation thoughts of mine:

1. If you are effectively using your phone in the car it shouldn't be long until you can afford a limo and a driver. You can sit in the back and talk on the phone. Maybe we should grandfather in the laws for people making less than $2-3M a month. I do think once this happens that they will even try to make laws about sitting in the back and talking but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

2. It will free up 911 for real emergencies instead of bothering them with people who got the wrong order at Burger King.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this.