Rule question on new overtime

ieatcrayonz

Possession changes when the ball crosses the LOS. Therefore as soon as the ball is kicked and crosses the LOS, the game is over. What happens afterwards is irrelevant.

Was just going to post this. Game ends once kick goes beyond line of scrimmage and coach is fired before he gets to locker room for not knowing the rules.

Was just going to post this. Game ends once kick goes beyond line of scrimmage and coach is fired before he gets to locker room for not knowing the rules.

Several years ago, with the walk off run on third, a college baseball coach had his first baseman back up the catcher on an intentional walk, to avoid a wild pitch. As soon as the pitch was thrown, the ball was called dead and the runner scored. Talk about not knowing rules.....LOL

I am getting confused by two things.

On the original question I am wondering who technically is in possession of the punt in the air once it crosses the line of scrimmage. If it is Team A or the receiving team, game over, if it is team B, kicking team then a muff occurs, team B wins. If no team is technically in possession then ???????

As for your point about the pick how can it not be an opportunity? You see DBs say in pressers after the game "I really missed an opportunity there" when they dropped a pick. They play the game for a living so I doubt they are wrong.

As said above, once the ball crosses the LOS, the posession for one team becomes the "opportunity to posess" for the other. Thus the game would end when the ball crosses the LOS.

A missed INT is not an opportunity to posess, because the rule clearly states that "The opportunity to possess occurs only during kicking plays."

In literal terms, yes the DB may have had the "opportunity to possess." But, not according to the NFL rule, which I'm sure is what they would go by.

-Bill

Possession changes when the ball crosses the LOS. Therefore as soon as the ball is kicked and crosses the LOS, the game is over. What happens afterwards is irrelevant.

Does possession change at the exact moment when the punted ball crosses the LOS, or only (assuming nobody on the receiving team catches it to establish possession by the receiving team), when the referee blows his whistle to end the play because (1) the ball rolled dead, (2) the ball went out of bounds, or (3) a player on the kicking team downed it? Maybe when the punted ball crosses the LOS, the receiving team merely has an irrevocable opportunity to possess, which they remain free to screw up by muffing the punt at any time before the whistle blows?