These #'s were no accident- Defense...

Dopey

Maybe I'm a glass half-full kinda guy or maybe I'm blinded by being a Bills fan since '75-76, but I looke at the 1st 8 games of the season (defense) and compared them to the last 4. We were a healthy unit for the first 6-7 games. Then injuries took over and the difference is obvious(imo).

Lets take a look:

Rush yds given up per game

through 1st 8 games 120.75 (didn't look it up, but I'm pretty sure this is way better than 2010)

through last 4 games 145.75

Pass yds given up per game

through 1st 8 games 260.375

through last 4 games 181.75 (sure, the #'s went down, but teams ran more on us after the 1st 8 games due to injuries, see above))

Sack total

through 1st 8 games 15 ( I know, I know 10 were in one game. we can say 5 if you want)

through last 4 games 2

Int total

through 1st 8 games 15

through last 4 games 1

forced fum

through 1st 8 games 6

through last 4 games 2

Fum rec

through 1st 8 games 5

through last 4 games 1

Def TD's

through 1st 8 games 3

through last 4 games 0

Were talking 15 Int's, 5 Fum Rec,3 D TD's, and a better run avg. in the 1st 8 games of the season. We still lack in the sack #'s, but will get better.

IMO injuries and depth(lack of) are the biggest difference between the 1st 8 games and the last 4 games. Through the 1st 8 games this D was performing alot better than 2010 when we were 0-8. The Dline and Db's were playing pretty well. The lB's still needed help, but Merriman and Barnett were making a difference. I remember plenty of posts complaining about the lack of holding calls when an Oline man tried to block Merriman. We still had Kelsay playing OLB. When Merriman went down we had to use Dlinemen(Spencer and Carrington) as OLB, not gonna work too well but was done out of necessity. I guess what all of this leads to is that aside from the yardage, we were playing pretty good ball on D. Can't fix it all in one offseason, so I like what I saw. I expect a deeper D next season and I expect a return to the type of D played in the 1st 8 games. That was no accident folks. Bring back a healthy Kyle,Merriman,Troupe, and players with a yr under their belts(Searcy,Williams,Sheppard,Dareus, Rogers), plus the additions from the draft and FA(OLB's hint, hint) and we should be better(hopefully healthy). Again, those #'s through the 1st 8 games were no mistake. Any thoughts or comments( as you can see, I'm trying to be the Glass Half-Full kinda guy)?

Edited by Dopey

I'd like to know what the numbers for caused fumbles and fumble recoveries have been over the past five years or so compared to other teams in the NFL. It seems the Bills cause/recover far fewer than other teams.

I'm sure someone out here can find this for you.

This is probably why we will see Edwards back in 2012. The injuries have been horrendous.

That's a tough one. Even though I liked what I saw in the 1st 8 games, part of me says look around to see what's out there as far as DC. Those #'s did look good though. My biggest complaint latley was when he sent 2 blitzes in a row against the Jets a couple of weeks ago. The first blitz did cause a bad throw that Plax made a hell of a catch on, but the 2nd blitz that led to a TD was an awful call. Sanchez saw the blitz coming a mile away and our blitzers ran into each other, effectively canceling each other out.