We Need to Root Hard for San Diego

BenchBledsoe

Aside from the obvious rooting interests this week, here is one more:

We need San Diego to beat Indy. (unlikely, I know. . . it's in Indy)

Why?

1) We need Indy to have to play at "full strength" at Denver in week 17. Denver can still knock us out if they win out. . . If Indy loses to San Diego in week 16, they'll still be battling in week 17 for the 3rd vs. 4th seed against the Chargers. The S.D.-K.C. game will be going on at the same time as the Indy-Denver game (4 PM eastern) in week 17, so the Colts would need to win and hope for a Charger loss to get the third seed.

2) If we get in the playoffs (as the 6th seed) we'd rather play at #3 seed San Diego rather than #3 seed Indy!! Go Chargers.

We'd have a real shot at San Diego, at Indy? Forget it. Indy is NOT going to lose in the first round at home!

Whoever wins this weekend gets the 3rd seed in the playoffs.  So the Colts will likely be resting their starters come week 17 anyway, unfortunately.  The best thing is to hope for a tie.

176824[/snapback]

Your right. I thought S.D. was 10-4, but I see where they are 11-3. What about the possibility of Indy catching New England for the 2nd seed? It would take a N.E. loss this week and at home to San Fran in week 17, though. I wish that N.E.-S.F. game was at 4 PM eastern in week 17! At least Indy would still keep playing that way.

Wouldn't it be simpler to root for Tennessee?

176860[/snapback]

Yes, I will. But, I was operating on the premise that Denver would beat Tennessee. Also, I think the odds are better for the Jets to lose their two games than people think. We may not get the loss from Jax that we need, but the Jets could lose both, and I'm expecting Balt. to lose at Pittsburgh. . . leaving Denver as a possible party crasher.

Actually, I don't think much of Denver.  If McNair plays, I definitely think Tennessee can win.  Billy Volek has come on a bit lately, I'm not so sure he can't pull off a win.

176870[/snapback]

McNair is done for the year. Volek has been fine - productive from a yardage standpoint, and Drew Bennett has been seeing more action than Paris Hilton since Volek came in. Tennessee's big problem is their secondary, and their coach who is calling a trick play every third chance he gets for some reason. Let's hope Fisher takes his job a little more seriously with several other teams' playoff hopes on the line.

Aside from the obvious rooting interests this week, here is one more:

We need San Diego to beat Indy. (unlikely, I know. . . it's in Indy)

Why?

1) We need Indy to have to play at "full strength" at Denver in week 17. Denver can still knock us out if they win out. . . If Indy loses to San Diego in week 16, they'll still be battling in week 17 for the 3rd vs. 4th seed against the Chargers. The S.D.-K.C. game will be going on at the same time as the Indy-Denver game (4 PM eastern) in week 17, so the Colts would need to win and hope for a Charger loss to get the third seed.

2) If we get in the playoffs (as the 6th seed) we'd rather play at #3 seed San Diego rather than #3 seed Indy!! Go Chargers.

We'd have a real shot at San Diego, at Indy? Forget it. Indy is NOT going to lose in the first round at home!

176814[/snapback]

Unfortunately there are several holes in your theory.

1) Indy and SD both have the same record right now. The winner of this weekends game would end up having the tiebreaker advantage based on head to head and thus would be declared the number 3 seed in the playoffs. So no matter what happens this week, next weeks games for both teams will be irrelevant, unless Peyton wants to extend his record against Denver

2) Why would you prefer going to San Diego in stead of Indy for a playoff game? The chargers maybe the hottest team in the league right now. The have won 8 games in a row and have quite possibly the most well rounded team in football. I don't see SD being an easier road trip than Indy.

3) Screw the spread, we're talking playoffs here!

Your right. I thought S.D. was 10-4, but I see where they are 11-3. What about the possibility of Indy catching New England for the 2nd seed? It would take a N.E. loss this week and at home to San Fran in week 17, though. I wish that N.E.-S.F. game was at 4 PM eastern in week 17! At least Indy would still keep playing that way.

176835[/snapback]

I think I would rather have N.E. beat the Jets this weekend to keep the second wild card spot open.

Maybe, with just a pinch of Winter Warlock's magic, we can make the Rams fly over the Jets in Week 17.