Is Spiller any less of a bust than Maybin?

beggar13

Making distinctions within the category is useless. At the same point in their careers neither contributed enough to justify their draft position. At least had one earned a starting role you could argue they were drafted too high like Whitner, but that's a disappointment not a bust. Spiller has a chance to not be a bust a he's still here, let's hope he emerges. We desperately need a new weapon on offense.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Making distinctions within the category is useless. At the same point in their careers neither contributed enough to justify their draft position. At least had one earned a starting role you could argue they were drafted too high like Whitner, but that's a disappointment not a bust. Spiller has a chance to not be a bust a he's still here, let's hope he emerges. We desperately need a new weapon on offense.

I hope they use him in the slot more. He's got good hands and should be able to take some pressure off Stevie

Spiller will be just fine IMO. He is perhaps slow to develop but I believe he will. But he was drafted into a difficult situation with Lynch and Jackson on the team and he was also placed in a difficult position by Gailey looking to put him ahead of Jackson earlier this year. Jackson was already an established player when that happened. Multiple 1000 yard seasons with a jersey hanging in Canton. Don't know whether Gailey was just trying to motivate Jackson (hardly seems necessary since he is the world's greatest self starter) or, more likely Spiller, who seemed at the end of last year to have lost confidence. Unfortunately whatever the intention, it angered Jackson, who is a 30 year old RB who has been stuffed by the system and just looking to be paid what he is worth, which is a lot more than he is earning. CJ is a nice young man who respects his elders, which means he pretty much had to step back from the role Chan was envisioning for him (even if Chan was not really serious about it)rather than assert himself and appear ridiculous.

I like what I've seen of Spiller this year. He is aclimating to the pro game. IMO in two years people will not be thinking bust. Quite the contrary. He could very well be tearing it up.

As for Maybin, well thats a very different story.

I ask because I am truly not sure at this point. Both are/were infective as can be. I understand you could argue that Spiller technically has done more, but I think that's only because he has seen more playing time. I am really discouraged by his lack of ability to take advantage of the plays that are called for him. If Fred went out with a season end injury this past week, it would be amazingly difficult for me to imagine the scenario where CJ steps up and shows that he can handle the load. I know I'm just reiterating other Bills fans woes, but GD do I wish we could make good draft picks in the early rounds!! I do love Dareus though, so at least we have that going for us.

Anyone on this board could have picked Dareus. It's very tough to blow the third overall pick in the draft. Spiller? Brad Smith? Merriman? WTF? This front office has a lot to prove next year. I Promised I would not call for Nix's head until next year but if I was forced to make that decision today he would not be here.

Anyone on this board could have picked Dareus. It's very tough to blow the third overall pick in the draft. Spiller? Brad Smith? Merriman? WTF? This front office has a lot to prove next year. I Promised I would not call for Nix's head until next year but if I was forced to make that decision today he would not be here.

have to agree. 1st round rb should be producing by now. jackson is great but a two headed attack would be much better. spiller isn't making any defenses game plan against him. nix gets, at best, a D on this pick.