OT: Dogs

Mediaman

One of my neighbors just got a puppy, the kids tell me its an American Bull Dog.  To me and my wife it looks like a Pit Bull.  Does anyone here know about this breed and should we be concerned since neither of our back yards are fenced and we have two small children.  Also this neighbor lets his 5 year old daughter play unsupervised on our street (its a dead end street).  The kids also are out at night, one evening during the summer, the 7 year old boy was riding his bike.  It was pitch dark, as our street has absolutely no street lights on it.  So our conern is if they have such a "hands off" approach to raising their kids, should we fear what this dog may grow up to become?

165395[/snapback]

Are you my neighbor? Our neighborhood is like that too. I see kids my daughter's age running amok unsupervised throughout the neighborhood.

Each dog is different but from what I've heard, American Bulldogs are decent dogs. I guess it will depend on how its raised. The most important thing is to teach your kids how to act around dogs and to NEVER approach a dog they dont know or a dog if its tied up.

When I first saw the A.B, I thought it was the biggest Pit Bull I'd ever seen. I'm more a fan of the English Bulldog myself but thats neither here nor there.

Its also a good idea to research the breed to determine its territorial or protective instinct. I remember when I was in college, my neighbors had a huge Rottweiler we called Bear. He typically came over to our house to visit and was a nice calm dog. He let it be known however, that you were in no way to go anywhere near his house.

That dog may act one way if he ambles over to your yard and may be totally different when he's on his own territory.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think the only thing we can do is try to introduce ourselves to the dog, but we will make sure that the leash laws that are in place here will be observed or we will be calling animal control or the police. My wife and I like dogs and when our kids are older we will probably get one from the pound.

There are other stories of this new neighbor that I can recount, but its a late saturday night and the wine has taken its effect. Good night!