Odd Feature Of How 2010 Rookies Got Paid

Here's a copy of the recently expired 301 page CBA:

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/NFL%20COLLECTIVE%20BARGAINING%20AGREEMENT%202006%20-%202012.pdf

I don't claim to have even read much of it yet, much less understand how all of the provisions relate to each other. But because it's in pdf format, you can use the search box at the top of the document to search for key terms to find provisions of interest. While doing that, I found an aspect of how rookies get paid that I did not previously know, and do not recall seeing discussed here. It involves how the money allocated to each team for the purpose of signing rookies gets distributed if a drafted rookie fails to make the roster for an uncapped season. The 2010 season was uncapped, so the part of the recently expired CBA reproduced below applied to how the rookies who made the final Bills roster for the 2010 season got paid:

From Article XVII, section 4(m), at page 54/301:

"In League Years for which no Salary Cap is in effect, 85% of any amount contracted by a Team to be paid from the Team's Rookie Allocation to a Rookie, but not actually paid by the Team to that player, either as a rookie, or as a re-signed first year player or practice squad player, which amount was not paid because that player was released, will be distributed to all rookies on such Team promptly after the end of the season on a pro rata basis based on the number of downs played."

If I recall correctly, Calloway was a 7th round draft pick last year who was cut before the season started. Because it was an uncapped year, 85% of the money that the team had contracted to pay to Calloway in 2010 was instead required to be distributed among the other rookies who made the team, based on how many regular season snaps each one played.

The above assumes that the NFL did not exercise its option under Article XVII, section 3, at page 51/301 to "remove the Entering Player Pool" in an uncapped year.

1. I wonder if any new CBA will have a similar provision for paying rookies who make the final roster more than their own rookie contracts require if some other drafted rookie gets cut before the season starts?

2. Which rookie played the most snaps in 2010, and therefore got the biggest share of the extra money?

Here's a copy of the recently expired 301 page CBA:

http://images.nflpla...%20-%202012.pdf

I don't claim to have even read much of it yet, much less understand how all of the provisions relate to each other. But because it's in pdf format, you can use the search box at the top of the document to search for key terms to find provisions of interest. While doing that, I found an aspect of how rookies get paid that I did not previously know, and do not recall seeing discussed here. It involves how the money allocated to each team for the purpose of signing rookies gets distributed if a drafted rookie fails to make the roster for an uncapped season. The 2010 season was uncapped, so the part of the recently expired CBA reproduced below applied to how the rookies who made the final Bills roster for the 2010 season got paid:

From Article XVII, section 4(m), at page 54/301:

"In League Years for which no Salary Cap is in effect, 85% of any amount contracted by a Team to be paid from the Team's Rookie Allocation to a Rookie, but not actually paid by the Team to that player, either as a rookie, or as a re-signed first year player or practice squad player, which amount was not paid because that player was released, will be distributed to all rookies on such Team promptly after the end of the season on a pro rata basis based on the number of downs played."

If I recall correctly, Calloway was a 7th round draft pick last year who was cut before the season started. Because it was an uncapped year, 85% of the money that the team had contracted to pay to Calloway in 2010 was instead required to be distributed among the other rookies who made the team, based on how many regular season snaps each one played.

The above assumes that the NFL did not exercise its option under Article XVII, section 3, at page 51/301 to "remove the Entering Player Pool" in an uncapped year.

1. I wonder if any new CBA will have a similar provision for paying rookies who make the final roster more than their own rookie contracts require if some other drafted rookie gets cut before the season starts?

2. Which rookie played the most snaps in 2010, and therefore got the biggest share of the extra money?

Donald Jones or Torell Troup got the most action IIRC. That all said, the rookie pool did include the salaries of UDFA's which the Bills did use a ton of. So there may not be anything left from this pool of money