There's a lot of love for him…so let's talk about

Personally I'm not sold on Rudolph.

There's this from KC Joyner:

4. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame TE

Let's just say production isn't his strong suit. Rudolph has topped the 50-yard receiving mark only eight times in 29 games. Take away his 95-yard score against Michigan's porous pass D and he averaged just 6.0 YPA last season. Only six pro tight ends gained six yards or less per attempt in 2010.

And also the fact that he's played in just 15 games the last two years while missing 9. I read somewhere that he also had injury issues in high school.

I think #34 is too high for him and I like Luke Stocker as much if not more…especially if we trade down or get lucky in the 3rd round.

But I could be convinced otherwise...

Just weird to me that MANY posters here are expressing their love of Rudolph but no one is willing to actually advocate for him.

Strange.

As an ND fan, I'll tell you my thoughts on Rudolph. I think the 50 yard mark can be slightly deceptive. He had Golden Tate and Michael Floyd there with him and they took many of his yards away. I don't think Weis ever used Rudolph as well as he could have he was mainly focused on attacking the mismatches his WR created. Rudolph was good in many short yardage situations. 3rd and 4 find a hole in the zone settle in and pick up 6 yards. I look at the success that the Patriots had with their Tight Ends last year and think that Rudolph is a better receiver than both of them. I think having a solid pass catching Tightend is really important as it makes a shutdown corner less of an impact (Revis) and when they clear out the middle it opens up underneath routes for receivers who may struggle getting down the field.

Pros

Great hands

Great Speed

Tall (creates mismatches on the outside)

Cons

Need to improve Blocking

I do think he may be injury prone. (with his height he is an upright runner)

As an ND fan, I'll tell you my thoughts on Rudolph. I think the 50 yard mark can be slightly deceptive. He had Golden Tate and Michael Floyd there with him and they took many of his yards away. I don't think Weis ever used Rudolph as well as he could have he was mainly focused on attacking the mismatches his WR created. Rudolph was good in many short yardage situations. 3rd and 4 find a hole in the zone settle in and pick up 6 yards. I look at the success that the Patriots had with their Tight Ends last year and think that Rudolph is a better receiver than both of them. I think having a solid pass catching Tightend is really important as it makes a shutdown corner less of an impact (Revis) and when they clear out the middle it opens up underneath routes for receivers who may struggle getting down the field.

Pros

Great hands

Great Speed

Tall (creates mismatches on the outside)

Cons

Need to improve Blocking

I do think he may be injury prone. (with his height he is an upright runner)

Great post and thanks for responding!

How do you feel about the Bills taking him at #34?

Great post and thanks for responding!

How do you feel about the Bills taking him at #34?

I wouldn't be too upset with the pick. But I would focus on Defensive Front 7. I have always Marvin Austin at 34, although he is not as large a need with Dareus, but never too many quality D-Line in my opinion. They help to make our LB's look better and flow to the ball easier. I thnk there are LB's to be had in the 3rd and 4th. Bruce Carter, Greg Romeus, Quan Stuyvasant.

Long Story short i would pass on Rudolph because the front 7 is a greater need, but i think he is a valuable pick at 34.