Akeem Ayers

Astrobot

PLUSES:

-Akeem Ayers is a "Top 40" player at three positions: 4-3OLB, 3-4OLB, and Strongside ILB. Versatile.

-There are only 2 ahead of him at ILB.

-athletic enough to play outside or inside, gifted athlete

-can set the edge in obvious running situations, move inside on passing situations, can blitz or cover zone

-showed a number of pass-rushing skills in college

-A Karlos Dansby comparison is most apt

-looked real fluid in LB drill

-can spy the QB

-Mayock is pigeon-holing Ayers by calling him a 'pure' 3-4 OLB prospect. We disagree. Ayers has more versatility than that. Bills could use this versatility

-2nd or 3rd OLB43, but if I were choosing between Ayers and Mason Foster, Foster would get the nod.

-ILB is really weak this year so if he was ranked on that list he'd be at or near the top.

MINUSES:

-As a 3-4OLB Ayers is rated as a 2nd rounder, but there are 8 other guys rated higher than him at 3-4OLB

-doesn't have an 'elite' move

-don't see him being able to consistently get to the QB in the NFL

-didn't look overly impressive in pass-rushing drills at the combine

-ideal fit is SILB who blitzes off a 43 set (NYG, PHI, Rams), which likely will be Bills only part-time

-in serious need of some better coaching

-seems disinterested as a football player

-4.80 forty speed at underwear Olympics

-seems to wait for the play to come to him.

-sometimes gives up on pursuit or fail to deliver the solid shot

I'd still take him in RD2, and still like Mason Foster and Kelvin Sheppard a little more.

I like Sheppard. He's tough and can roam. Problem w/ him and Foster is that they both can get engulfed by blockers. Not a good thing for potential ILBs in a 3-4 (we have this problem now). Sheppard also has so-so coverage abilities; another bad thing for ILBs. But, these could be things that can be coached up (agility drills and weight training can help), and it's hard not to like his FBI (football intelligence) and his toughness (playing through injuries, delivering bit hits).

I like Sheppard. He's tough and can roam. Problem w/ him and Foster is that they both can get engulfed by blockers. Not a good thing for potential ILBs in a 3-4 (we have this problem now). Sheppard also has so-so coverage abilities; another bad thing for ILBs. But, these could be things that can be coached up (agility drills and weight training can help), and it's hard not to like his FBI (football intelligence) and his toughness (playing through injuries, delivering bit hits).

It's a bad year to want a ILB, particularly the kind of ILB we need. If I thought we had a chance on Akeem Ayers or Martez Wilson, both could be great complements to Poz. But I fear both won't be there past 19-20-21 (Giants-Bucs-Chiefs), as all will want ILB early and the crop dries up after Sheppard.

PLUSES:

-Akeem Ayers is a "Top 40" player at three positions: 4-3OLB, 3-4OLB, and Strongside ILB. Versatile.

-There are only 2 ahead of him at ILB.

-athletic enough to play outside or inside, gifted athlete

-can set the edge in obvious running situations, move inside on passing situations, can blitz or cover zone

-showed a number of pass-rushing skills in college

-A Karlos Dansby comparison is most apt

-looked real fluid in LB drill

-can spy the QB

-Mayock is pigeon-holing Ayers by calling him a 'pure' 3-4 OLB prospect. We disagree. Ayers has more versatility than that. Bills could use this versatility

-2nd or 3rd OLB43, but if I were choosing between Ayers and Mason Foster, Foster would get the nod.

-ILB is really weak this year so if he was ranked on that list he'd be at or near the top.

MINUSES:

-As a 3-4OLB Ayers is rated as a 2nd rounder, but there are 8 other guys rated higher than him at 3-4OLB

-doesn't have an 'elite' move

-don't see him being able to consistently get to the QB in the NFL

-didn't look overly impressive in pass-rushing drills at the combine

-ideal fit is SILB who blitzes off a 43 set (NYG, PHI, Rams), which likely will be Bills only part-time

-in serious need of some better coaching

-seems disinterested as a football player

-4.80 forty speed at underwear Olympics

-seems to wait for the play to come to him.

-sometimes gives up on pursuit or fail to deliver the solid shot

I'd still take him in RD2, and still like Mason Foster and Kelvin Sheppard a little more.

if he is there @ 34 i would be thrilled.