3-4 DL Schemes

Chilly

While I watched the Bills on and off this year (mainly on red zone) to get an okay idea of how they were playing, I haven't actually been able to study how the defense was setup.

So, question to you all: When the Bills were actually in their 3-4 defense, were they running the more traditional 2-gap DL scheme, or were they running a Wade-style 1-gap scheme?

Personally, I'd love to see a 1-gap DL scheme with Troup at the 1-tech NT, Kyle Williams on one side, and one of the monster d-linemen in this draft at the other DE slot. Kyle's strength seems to be playing the penetrating big man. With Troup to clog up the middle, adding another penetrating big guy on the other side would give us a shot at a pretty good d-lineman, with some flexibility. You'd be able to rotate Kyle over for a 4-man front, or even bring in Carrington and move Kyle to Troup's spot for a quicker look.

Of course, this puts more pressure on our crappy linebacking corp, but at least we'll have a solid base in one area.

While I watched the Bills on and off this year (mainly on red zone) to get an okay idea of how they were playing, I haven't actually been able to study how the defense was setup.

So, question to you all: When the Bills were actually in their 3-4 defense, were they running the more traditional 2-gap DL scheme, or were they running a Wade-style 1-gap scheme?

Personally, I'd love to see a 1-gap DL scheme with Troup at the 1-tech NT, Kyle Williams on one side, and one of the monster d-linemen in this draft at the other DE slot. Kyle's strength seems to be playing the penetrating big man. With Troup to clog up the middle, adding another penetrating big guy on the other side would give us a shot at a pretty good d-lineman, with some flexibility. You'd be able to rotate Kyle over for a 4-man front, or even bring in Carrington and move Kyle to Troup's spot for a quicker look.

Of course, this puts more pressure on our crappy linebacking corp, but at least we'll have a solid base in one area.

They were running a 1-gap 3-4, which gave them a formation similar to a 4-3 under. Kelsay was often used as a flex lb/details, sometimes putting his hand in the ground.