A Memorable Game in Miami

Jim Gehman

The Bills have won four of their last 10 games in Miami. Not great, but they have done worse against the division-rival Dolphins. Much worse! After all, Buffalo was winless against Miami during the 1970s. This, of course, included every game in the Orange Bowl.

However, all streaks come to an end eventually. And as youll see from this excerpt from my book Then Levy Said to Kelly… when this one did, it was a record-breaking day for veteran quarterback Joe Ferguson.

Sunshine, Surf, Shula and a Win

For 14 seasons, when the Bills traveled south to Miami, they headed back north with a loss. But on October 9, 1983, after winning 38-35 in overtime, the trip back to Buffalo was much more pleasurable.

Quarterback Joe Ferguson, who had been aboard 10 of those previous extra-long flights home, had the game of his career that afternoon in the Orange Bowl. He set the Bills single-game records with 55 pass attempts, 38 completions, and 419 yards. He also tied his own single-game team record with five touchdown passes.

"Shoot, I dont know," Ferguson replied when asked what clicked for him that game. "We just wanted to beat Miami so bad. It just felt good. I guess everything was going well for the team. We didnt turn the ball over, and that was usually the key when we played Miami. Usually whoever had the most turnovers lost the game, and usually it was us. Miami were the games of the year for us. It didnt matter, the Sun Belt and the Snow Belt. The whole team played well that day. Everything was clicking.

"You dont really have a feeling when you go out on the field. You just go out and do your job, and things fall in place. I didnt have a feeling that I was going to do a great job, I just went out and played one play at a time and whatever happens, happens. If it falls in place that day, it does."

With Joe Danelos 36-yard field goal in overtime, the Bills record went to 4-2. Miami dropped to 3-3 in rookie quarterback Dan Marinos first career start. "Maybe Joe had some motivation because of that, but Fergy was a great quarterback in his own right," said running back Joe Cribbs, who scored two touchdowns. "I really think that he probably doesnt get as much credit as he should get. Buffalo always had some great running teams when he was there, and he threw for a lot of yardage when you consider that most of the time he had to be handing the ball off to the likes of [O.J.] Simpson and [Terry] Miller. I think he had an exceptional career."

"I just remember that they were a good enough football team to come back, and we had to win it in overtime to show what a great football team we were," said Ferguson. "It was just a relief that we did win, and we won in Miami. That was the biggest thing. That was the best part about it, winning there."

Edited by Jim Gehman