My observations from the game

lets_go_bills

I'm home and have had a chance to reflect on that ugly game. Here's some of the observations I made today:

What's his problem? Trent Edwards is still captain checkdown. He's reluctant to throw downfield. And he never seems to get "settled" in the pocket. He has no confidence and unless he figure it out fast, his days as a starter are over. Forever. He's lucky his stat line didn't read 2 INTs and the score didn't read 29-10. Those were both dropped pick-sixes.

It's not all his fault though. That O-Line stinks. We all knew they'd be what holds this team back and will continue to be until we get some tackles who know how to play football. They couldn't provide Trent with any protection, even when Miami only rushed four. They caused Trent to take too many hits and feel pressure too frequently. We have the worst tackle tandem in the league.

Speaking of tackles. It amazes me that someone as bad as Cornell Green could be employed in this league for nine years. He was so bad it was almost unfathomable. He was consistently beat by his man, looked out of place, always seemed to be trying to catch up to his man, and was just plain horrible in pass protection. BTW, did you see Meredith come in the game at LT and get absolutely destroyed? His man had him on his heels, driving him backwards at warp speed and then sacked Trent. We need two tackles. Bad.

The offense sucks. Three and outs all day, penalties, inability to capitalize on field position, couldn't establish the run. I'm not giving much credit to the Miami D here because they weren't that good, the offense was THAT BAD. Miami dared us to throw it deep. And so will all other teams this year until we make them pay. They're double-covering Lee, bringing the SS into the box and stacking against the run. There were opportunities downfield but Trent either missed them, checked down instead, or was getting hit/sacked.

I'm excited about this kid. David Nelson is a player to watch. He made some good catches today, the best of which was called back due to a boneheaded holding penalty on the OL. He's an exciting prospect and he has a real future in this league. He was the lone bright spot today.

Switching gears now. How bout that defense? They were pretty good. They spent almost the entire game on the field thanks to frequent three-and-outs by the O. They still held up well, sort of a "bend but don't break" kind of defense. They kept us in it all game and gave the offense every chance to win it.

But where's the pass rush? While the stat line reads three sacks, our inability to generate any sort of pressure is really troubling, (although not surprising). Ellis is a pleasant surprise though. But we (still) can't consistently pressure the QB.

Thank God we have good DBs. They really help this defense big time. Thanks to them, we didn't get blown out. It's tough to contain Marshall, he's a beast, but I thought they did a good job overall in pass defense. McKelvin is flashing potential and made some plays. Can't wait til Bryd is healthy. Can you imagine how many turnovers they'd get if we could actually pressure the opposing QB? It would be scary.

What's the deal with Poz? He's been on the brink of NFL tackles leading, Pro Bowl making, elite linebacking stardom for a couple years now. He just can't seem to stay healthy. He's always getting hurt somewhere, somehow. Will he ever play a full 16? He can absolutely fill the stat sheet and is a playmaker. He just can't stay on the field. Sort of a poor man's Bob Sanders.

So what's it gonna take to make this team a contender? How 'bout the first five picks in the draft where we can take quarterback, tackle, tackle, pass rusher, pass rusher. Seriously. It's gonna be a long year folks but at least we're actually gonna be bad enough to get a high pick in the draft. Andrew Luck anyone?

Still love my Bills but it's gonna be awhile before they're any good. Have they invented a patience pill yet? We've been loyal but how much longer can we wait? We DESERVE a home playoff game. And after that, a Super Bowl win.

Thoughts?

Edited by lets_go_bills

I'm home and have had a chance to reflect on that ugly game. Here's some of the observations I made today:

What's his problem? Trent Edwards is still captain checkdown. He's reluctant to throw downfield. And he never seems to get "settled" in the pocket. He has no confidence and unless he figure it out fast, his days as a starter are over. Forever. He's lucky his stat line didn't read 2 INTs and the score didn't read 29-10. Those were both dropped pick-sixes.

It's not all his fault though. That O-Line stinks. We all knew they'd be what holds this team back and will continue to be until we get some tackles who know how to play football. They couldn't provide Trent with any protection, even when Miami only rushed four. They caused Trent to take too many hits and feel pressure too frequently. We have the worst tackle tandem in the league.

Speaking of tackles. It amazes me that someone as bad as Cornell Green could be employed in this league for nine years. He was so bad it was almost unfathomable. He was consistently beat by his man, looked out of place, always seemed to be trying to catch up to his man, and was just plain horrible in pass protection. BTW, did you see Meredith come in the game at LT and get absolutely destroyed? His man had him on his heels, driving him backwards at warp speed and then sacked Trent. We need two tackles. Bad.

The offense sucks. Three and outs all day, penalties, inability to capitalize on field position, couldn't establish the run. I'm not giving much credit to the Miami D here because they weren't that good, the offense was THAT BAD. Miami dared us to throw it deep. And so will all other teams this year until we make them pay. They're double-covering Lee, bringing the SS into the box and stacking against the run. There were opportunities downfield but Trent either missed them, checked down instead, or was getting hit/sacked.

I'm excited about this kid. David Nelson is a player to watch. He made some good catches today, the best of which was called back due to a boneheaded holding penalty on the OL. He's an exciting prospect and he has a real future in this league. He was the lone bright spot today.

Switching gears now. How bout that defense? They were pretty good. They spent almost the entire game on the field thanks to frequent three-and-outs by the O. They still held up well, sort of a "bend but don't break" kind of defense. They kept us in it all game and gave the offense every chance to win it.

But where's the pass rush? While the stat line reads three sacks, our inability to generate any sort of pressure is really troubling, (although not surprising). Ellis is a pleasant surprise though. But we (still) can't consistently pressure the QB.

Thank God we have good DBs. They really help this defense big time. Thanks to them, we didn't get blown out. It's tough to contain Marshall, he's a beast, but I thought they did a good job overall in pass defense. McKelvin is flashing potential and made some plays. Can't wait til Bryd is healthy. Can you imagine how many turnovers they'd get if we could actually pressure the opposing QB? It would be scary.

What's the deal with Poz? He's been on the brink of NFL tackles leading, Pro Bowl making, elite linebacking stardom for a couple years now. He just can't seem to stay healthy. He's always getting hurt somewhere, somehow. Will he ever play a full 16? He can absolutely fill the stat sheet and is a playmaker. He just can't stay on the field. Sort of a poor man's Bob Sanders.

So what's it gonna take to make this team a contender? How 'bout the first five picks in the draft where we can take quarterback, tackle, tackle, pass rusher, pass rusher. Seriously. It's gonna be a long year folks but at least we're actually gonna be bad enough to get a high pick in the draft. Andrew Luck anyone?

Still love my Bills but it's gonna be awhile before they're any good. Have they invented a patience pill yet? We've been loyal but how much longer can we wait? We DESERVE a home playoff game. And after that, a Super Bowl win.

Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly but I can't see how Edwards can start next game with that performance. He had a total of 15 yards passing until about 6 minutes in the fourth.

Thoughts?

Great observations, I would add that the coaching/playcalling was piss-poor this game. Where are the scripted plays to start off the game and give Trent some confidence, which he needs in a bad way if he should continue to start. I don't really have much faith in the other two stooges we have at QB either. Our depth really is frightening on offense.

I really liked the play of Florence and McKelvin, great intensity and tough tackling. Didn't see much of McGee but I'm guessing that's a good thing for a DB. Overall, I loved the play of the Defense, albeit against a weak Miami offense and gameplan, bend but don't break describes them perfectly. However, I did see quite a few missed tackles and poor attempts at tackles throughout the game, back to teaching the basics for some of our players?

The Bills lost that game at the line of scrimmage, they couldn't block anyone at any point on offense

I watched them set up a screen and it looked like every Bill missed their block, another play they run a toss sweep to Spiller and the announcer states he has convoy ahead of him... to bad they couldn't manage to block anyone and he gets tackled immediately

This has to be the worst O line and play by professional players in the NFL

What's the deal with Poz? He's been on the brink of NFL tackles leading, Pro Bowl making, elite linebacking stardom for a couple years now.

Perception is different from reality. I've never understood this love affair. He plays hard, but he's an average to above average player. "Elite" and "stardom" are reaches.

we need talent. But why don't we have it? Bottom line it's the owner! There has been plenty of talent out there for the team but our owner chooses to get C list athletes. On offense how many of the 11 starters can start for other teams? I count 2 maybe 3 tops! We have starters who would be 2nd 3rd string on other teams. Buffalo is a talentless franchise and will be till they are sold to someone who wants to build a winner, instead of an owner building his pocket book!

Great observations, I would add that the coaching/playcalling was piss-poor this game. Where are the scripted plays to start off the game and give Trent some confidence, which he needs in a bad way if he should continue to start. I don't really have much faith in the other two stooges we have at QB either. Our depth really is frightening on offense.

I really liked the play of Florence and McKelvin, great intensity and tough tackling. Didn't see much of McGee but I'm guessing that's a good thing for a DB. Overall, I loved the play of the Defense, albeit against a weak Miami offense and gameplan, bend but don't break describes them perfectly. However, I did see quite a few missed tackles and poor attempts at tackles throughout the game, back to teaching the basics for some of our players?

I agree sir.

It looked like Miami knew exactly what we were going to do on offense.

Edwards, Bell and Green shouldn't be starting but sadly there's simply no one else.

I was sitting in my seat screaming about the missed tackles, that's fundamental stuff that Gailey promised we'de get back to.

I thought the 1st play from scrimmage was drawn up well. Trent just threw a 70 mph pass to Freddie 2 yards away.

Gailey has his work cut out for him.

The O-Line was piss-poor as usual - both the interior line opening up holes and creating a pocket that wasn't in Edward's lap and the tackles were pretty horrific. Edwards on the other hand when given time always got a case of the "happy feet" and would roll to his right for some ugly results. He just does not see the whole field, because there always seems to be a WR running free that he doesn't even try to connect with if there is any pressure whatsoever. If the opposing team lays back in a zone he can find his receivers. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to game-plan a "D" for the way he consistently reacts to pressure.

If we are stuck with Edwards, Gailey may want to figure out a few ways to move the pocket around - designed roll-outs, etc... but those work better if you actually have some kind of running game to respect allowing us use some play-action.

The comments that came out of the offensive players was that it was missed assignments, fixable, etc.. blah blah blah. I dunno. What I saw was men out-muscling boys. How do you fix guys who consistently get pushed back into our running backs and QB? More Spinach?