Listening to the Today show

VABills

Actually Kerry DID condemn the Moveon.org ad. 

The issue is this:  by law NEITHER campaign is supposed to have any control over what 527s or PACs do.  So the campaign can't approach a PAC and steer their activities.  That's the way it works.  The groups do what they want.

Supposedly.

When Moveon's ad came out Kerry acted SWIFTLY to condemn it.

Bush condemned NOTHING about the Swift Boat Thugs for Bush, although people from his own party requested he do so.  If pressed he'd say "well I said before Kerry served admirably" but he didn't call on the group to cease and desist.  After all it was getting all sorts of press.

So Bush ignored those calls and the Kerry campaign filed suit after learning that Bush operatives had been involved.  The issue wasn't the funding, everyone knew it was funded by a big Bush supporter in TX, and the Kerry camp was ok with letting people draw their own conclusions about that one.

But when it came out that, in violation of McCain-Feingold, Bush people were advising the group, suddenly 527's are bad, real bad.  And Bush has filed suit to eliminate them.

Even though HE signed McCain-Feingold, did he not?  I guess he didn't read it, or else he didn't dream the liberal groups would out-raise him by bazillions.  Personally I don't like that they spend money on negative ads.  I think there are far more effective ways of getting the truth out - just by stating the facts, for example.  But I don't have any say over what they do either.

Regarding the Michael Moore thing, it's a movie.  Kerry's not a movie critic.  If anyone bothered to make a pro-Bush movie would you expect him to say anything about that?  What about all those anti-Bush books?  Should Kerry make a sweeping announcement that any writer, pundit, talking head, film maker etc. should NEVER say anything bad about Bush.

You'd probably like that but there's still a first amendment in place.  I understand the right is upset because all they ever get for celebrity support are pretty much washed-up has-beens, but that's life.  Broaden your appeal and you'll broaden your base.

11188[/snapback]

Kerry condemned "a" moveon.org ad, after Bush had already come out against the Swift Vets thing and all ads like it. It's not like Kerry had a lot to say about negative ads, movies, whatever in the entire year before this Swift Vets thing started. But now he doesn't like them because he's been hurt pretty bad. Boo hoo.

Of course, Kerry and Moveon.org are totally unrelated.

Zach Exley joins the Internet team as Director of Online Communications and Online Organizing. He was previously the director of special projects for the MoveOn.org and was instrumental in building the Dean campaign’s web-based organization.

Why do you care who funds the SBVT? Oh gosh, it's a Bush supporter! Imagine that. And here I thought that group would be totally funded by Dems.

As for Moore, his propaganda is about 10x worse than SBVT and he was invited to the DNC! Nope, no double standard there.

Where's nozzlenut?

More unrelated-ness.

The Democratic Party is partnering with MoveOn.org, People for the American Way, Campaign for America's Future, and dozens of other groups representing millions of Americans to organize a massive public mobilization. On Wednesday, May 14, join us by calling and emailing your representatives in Congress to let them know that the majority of Americans oppose more irresponsible tax cuts that go overwhelmingly to the wealthiest sliver of Americans.