Bills faith in McGahee paying off

Like A Mofo

Willis

Buffalo Bills president and general manager Tom Donahoe isn't interested in the vindication that comes with the sudden success of running back Willis McGahee, but he has it nevertheless

McGahee's four touchdowns last weekend and his play over the past seven weeks are proof Donahoe knew what he was doing when he made the gutsy call in the 2003 draft, spending a first-round pick on a back who couldn't play for a year.

Donahoe took heat for the move, and it didn't make sense. There was a chance there to pull off a steal, and Donahoe not only recognized it, he took advantage of it. Now, he and the Bills look like geniuses.

"It's working out," Donahoe said this week. "I'm just happy for Willis, especially when you see what he went through."

I'm happy for Willis, too, but I'm just as happy for Donahoe and the Bills. They had to withstand criticism from a raft of outsiders who wondered why they used the 23rd pick of the draft on a back when they already had Travis Henry manning the position and they could have reached for a defensive lineman.

But that's the point. To get a defensive lineman there, they would have had to reach. Ten were already gone, and the club was left discussing the possibility of choosing someone like Nebraska defensive end Chris Kelsay or Miami's William Joseph with the choice.

The Bills weren't interested in Joseph. They were interested in Kelsay, but he wasn't among their top 23 candidates. So they took the detour and chose McGahee, and they made the right move. Not only does he show signs of becoming a premier back, but the Bills landed Kelsay in the second round anyway.

"We felt to run the ball like we wanted we needed two quality backs," said Donahoe. "We felt like this was something we couldn't pass up."

Credit goes to Donahoe. But it also goes to the Buffalo medical staff that studied McGahee's reconstructed left knee and cleared him without reservations, and it goes to owner Ralph Wilson, who stood in Donahoe's corner when he chose the University of Miami back. But, frankly, it goes to McGahee, too, for working tirelessly to return after an injury so gruesome some wondered if the poor guy would recover.

What's intriguing about McGahee is that as well as he's playing right now -- and he has five 100-yard performances in his past six starts -- what you see is not necessarily what you might get. Neither Donahoe nor Tom Modrak, the Bills assistant GM, believes that McGahee is 100 percent, and that there is more -- perhaps much more -- that we haven't seen from him.

"There's no telling how far he can go," said Modrak. "I think there's room we don't know about."

McGahee's return has been deliberate and steady, with the Bills gradually working him in the lineup as their confidence in him grew. They watched him take over for Henry in an Oct. 17 date with Miami and produce 111 yards. They saw him start to pick up blocks. They saw him start to shed tacklers.

What they didn't see was the explosive gear that once made him the nation's top collegiate back -- until, that is, McGahee turned it on last weekend to outrace defenders for a 30-yard touchdown run.

"We think he's going to be a lot better," said Donahoe. "He's done well, but he can do better, and our offense can do better. We need to be more efficient."

Give the Bills time. They gave it to McGahee, and look what happened: They're 5-1 when he's in the starting lineup, 0-5 when he's not. Tom Donahoe deserves a curtain call.

Willis

Tom Donahoe deserves a curtain call.

143361[/snapback]

Well said. I was thrilled the day we hired Donahoe and still am pleased with the job he's done. Unfortunately, one of the biggest decisions he made (Gregg Williams) directly affected every personel move he made. I think his drafting and free agent signings have been excellent. No GM is perfect (how many friggin cornerbacks did John Butler draft in the 90s?) but Donahoe is one of the best in the game right now. He will wiff again on a pick or free agent...that's the nature of the business. More often, however, he'll do the right thing. Be glad he's here and quit bellyaching.