POTD - July 2

YESTERDAY:

Car loan. Yeah, it was a little weak too I think. But you guys nailed it.

TODAY:

With the holiday coming up, I figured I'd give you a few extra. I think these are a good mix. Good luck! ***AND GENERAL ANNOUCEMENT - Maybe you could put your answers in yellow so people who want to do it don't accidentally see yours. If you want...***

1. (These instructions might not make the most sense, but hopefully you'll follow).

You get five clues to name a category. Look at the clues (1-5) one at a time and make a guess at what you think the category is before you look at the clue. If you get the category right, add up the points in parenthesis starting with your first correct guess. A total of 50 is passable, 100 is very good, over 100 is remarkable. To keep you from looking ahead at the next clues, I've put them in yellow. Highlight the next one when you've made your previous guess.

Game 1

1. cold (100 pts)

2. fish (80)

3. a train (50)

4. a Frisbee (25)

5. some z's (10)

Game 2

1. hot (100)

2. sweat (80)

3. fancy (50)

4. cargo (25)

5. smarty (10)

Toni has 10 identical blue socks, 14 identical green socks and 4 identical red socks in a drawer. She removes socks from the drawer one at a time at random without looking. What is the fewest number of socks that Toni needs to pull out to be sure of having 4 pairs of socks all of the same color?

Each movie title below contains the name of an element in the periodic table. However, we've abbreviated every non-element word by giving its first two letters only and for each element, we've given its symbol. Solve the movie titles.

1. TH MA IN THE Fe MA

2. As AN OL LA

3. UL au

4. Ag ST

5. Pt BL

6. Sn CU

?????? on Puzzle 1. You stumped me here. How any of those 5 terms are related has me baffled.

Puzzle 2: 19. Worst case - pull the 4 red - then if you pull 15 more you'll either have 8 blue or 8 green

Puzzle 3: The Man in the Iron Mask, Arsenic and Old Lace, Ulee's Gold, Silver Streak, Platinum Blonde, Tin Cup

Toni has 10 identical blue socks, 14 identical green socks and 4 identical red socks in a drawer. She removes socks from the drawer one at a time at random without looking. What is the fewest number of socks that Toni needs to pull out to be sure of having 4 pairs of socks all of the same color?

Answer:

11 Socks.

No matter how you slice it, the highest REMAINDER (number of non-paired socks) you can have is THREE. So, with eleven socks, you will always have, at worst, 4 pair, plus 3 leftover.

Answer:

11 Socks.

No matter how you slice it, the highest REMAINDER (number of non-paired socks) you can have is THREE. So, with eleven socks, you will always have, at worst, 4 pair, plus 3 leftover.

My interpretation is all 4 pair need to be the same color. Not just any 4 pair. I could be wrong.