The intangibles...

I am a rookie on probation here so I am allowed to make rookie assertions here's mine for the day...

On the Offensive side:

The coach and the front office drafted CJ to help overcome what they have in the way of OL talent. The blocking may be suspect, but Jackson, Lynch, and CJ all bring their unique styles, talent, drive, and intangibles to the equation and they can change everything. Give them the slightest crack or a modest surge and these guys can do the rest on any given play. That intangible can make up for a developing line and also make us more likely to be successful as an offense quicker. A commitment to running with those three provides our quickest path to possibly picking up an extra win or maybe with a little luck two.

Here is the other intangible... All three can catch out of the backfield adding another very viable dimension and with Nelson at TE and taller wide recievers on the roster an efficient "Capt. Check Down" style of play could not only be productive, but with the likes of CJ even possibly explosive at times. No I am not drinking kool-aid, I am looking at the practicality of this approach by the Coach as a way to significantly increase potential working with what the has. It really does give us an immediately improved potential "in spite" of what we have to work with. This approach also seriously diminishes the expectations and stress on our current QB's. Think about it. I am optimistic.

On the Defensive side:

Thanks to the past regimes obsession with the defensive backs we are in excellent shape and our talent matches up well with any competition we may face. That goes a long way in keeping us in games. What the Coach has done to deal with the rest is to bring in raw meat, hard core football talent that if you look at each guy they all have two things in common... Passion for the game and something to prove. These are the guys that surprize and drive competition for playing time to a whole new level. They are hungry and driven. None of the new guys are powder puffs or dough boys. The intangible here is not knowing who the next defensive stud might be and in a new scheme "old talent" can rise to the challenge presented by change and competition providing a couple nice surprizes too. Another intangible. Again I like the upside and feel very optimistic. There is no way that this group are destined to be cellar dwellars statistically this year. A slight improvement here could also significantly contribute to an extra win and maybe even two. Intangibles guys, not Kool-aid.

I prefer to be optimistic and you cannot ignore Buddy Nix's lineage/accomplishments in this league. He understands the dynamics of finding and developing raw talent while building a team. That combined with the Coaches rep of being reknowned for working with what he has gives me a... "The cup is half full!" perspective. Now for all you naysayers and vets who munch up rookies like me daily on this site have at it. I say... Go Bills!!!

I thought our offense looked as bad as I've ever seen an offense look last year - pure ineptitude. Despite all the injuries we dealt with, the bad coaching, the inconsistancies in styles and schemes - despite everything, we still could have been in the playoffs if a few things had gone differently. Did we belong there? Absolutely not.

But, just coming back healthy this year, and adding some size and a few guys on offense and, most importantly, sticking to a consistent scheme and philosophy, having players practice hard and believe in themselves, and having a coach who will really out-think opposing coaches - like an offensive version of Bellicheck - all those things make it possible for us to see an improved team offensively; and really, we couldn't get worse.

Defensively, I believe we'll be much tougher, stronger, nowhere near as easy to run against. Will we have growing pains and will inexperience in the system hurt us at times? Sure. But - and I hope I'm not wrong - I think our Defense will be in the top ten by the end of the year. Simply because I think we have real talent in the front seven, and if we can stop the run then our secondary has shown how opportunistic it can be. We didn't even really see McKelvin last year.

We could be a 5-11 team that loses some close games, but we could also be a 10-6 team in the mold of a Pittsburgh or Baltimore - run, stop the run. Seeing how we were as close to the playoffs last year as we were (while being as bad a team), I think that only reenforces two things - we have more talent than a lot of people will admit, and the league is much closer than people assume - that solid coaching can rise a team up to a playoff level of play quickly (if it were Cowher no one would think us crazy for expecting the playoffs, or Shanahan).

(Just to remind some readers - I was pleased to read yesterday on some old arrowheadpride posts how Gailey was thought of a few years ago as the second best offensive coordinator in the league, behind Cam Cameron. I think we're really going to be surprised by what he brings to our team - since most people seem to expect the Bills to stink, once again.)