Brandon Spikes

Remember John Holicek????...if that's how you spell his name...he was slow as a Tackle...but I thought he was solid...not some outstanding hall of famer but I was sad to see him go...he could read plays...that being said, I am SURPRISED that Spikes ran so slow...he didn't look THAT slow in college...he didn't really impress me all that much either though...I'd stay away from him, there are plenty of other LB's in the draft if you're hard up for one

Last night I watched a replay of the Florida/Alabama game with my son just because we are going through football withdrawls....anyway Spikes does in fact look very slow in that game. If anyone has seen that game or still has it recorded let me know what you think. Also, if Rolando Mcclain doesn't turn out to be one of the three or four best players out of this draft I'll be surprised. The difference in speed, instincts and tacking ability between McClain and Spikes is great IMO.

This is awesome! Let the idiots of 40 time worship pass on him. If he ran a 4.0 forty instead of a 5.0 he'd be able to cover the 10 yards to the backfield, uninhibited, .25 seconds faster and that can make the difference between not a whole lot. Is he strong? Is he nifty? Is he smart? Is he agressive? Those things mean a lot more to me than potential .25 seconds over 10 yards.

See that math works when you're running to a stationary target. When the target is running away from you you need to account for that as well. I grant that the difference in distance covered between a 4.5 and a 5.0 is small, but even if it's less than an arm length that's the difference between a from tackle and an arm tackle, or an arm tackle and a whiff

A person who runs 40 yards in 5.0 seconds is moving at an average of 24 feet per second. A person who covers that distance in 4.5 seconds is moving at an average of 26.6 feet per second. Using that math, for every second the two players are running (Spikes and an average run of the mill RB) the RB is pulling away by 2.6 feet. That's a little under an arm length for every second they run. That is a lot. It changes the angle the player has to take in order to make the tackle which forces the LB to attack the ball less on anything not straight ahead in order to meet the RB at all. If you get an exceptionally fast back like Chris Johnson it just gets worse.

Let talk about coverage, if the LB is in coverage it's not crazy to track a player for 20 yards or more especially in a blitzing situation (that's less than half of the width of the field and remember parallel to the line is still distance to be covered). After 2 seconds of coverage the RB will be open by 5 feet. That's wide freaking open. 2.6 feet is open, 5 feet plus is insane.

Even if Spikes ran a 4.75, still a pedestrian time, all these distances would be halved and even that makes a big difference on the field between a tackle and a miss. 5+ is just too slow for a LB of any type to be on the field. With that time he's not draftable in a 7 round draft.

Toooooo mathematical lol...I understand the argument but slower LB's can still do thier job...not saying Spikes slow...but slower than the average LB...

Spikes ran the forty like a DT...Linval Joseph ran it faster and he's 330 pound...he didn't look slow when he played though...I still wouldn't draft him...