Draft Strategy

sllib olaffub

When I look at F.A. and the draft this year, with the Bills in mind, I end up thinking that we need somewhere around seven to ten starters brought in, and more for depth. I believe Nix and Gailey will draft and bring in F.A.'s with the mentality that they're building for prolonged success and stability (which seems like they'd be taking best available talent -other than secondary - in the early rounds)... anyway, I think they could solidify one thing, maybe two this year, or, they could throw guys everywhere - I mean, they could pretty surely fix the offense or defense this year, but it looks like if they try to add significantly to both, they'll end up lacking in both areas.

So, my question is, should they try to field a really good offense or defense, and hope that the other side is just good enough - either outscore opponents or shut them down, or, should they take a scattered approach and give it a few years to come together? Unless anyone thinks we could fix it all this year?

what they really should do is not force anything. in FA, you sign them based on value, and position of need. just because you need a NT doesnt mean you pay a B-Class NT a ton of money because you need a new one. you can upgrade positions like LB through FA since they are a dime a dozen these days. same thing holds true for the draft in my opinion. it actually puts the scouts/GM in a good place. its clear the bills need a new LT, but if the top 2-3 are gone by 9, you dont need to force a subpar OT in at that position. you can use that pick to fill literally, 15 other pressing needs. we need upgrades at NT-QB-WR-TE-LT-RT-LB-DE. the only things we dont HAVE to fill are RB, safety, and corner. so if that LT you need is gone at 9, go for a QB. if the top 2 are gone, go for the #1 LB or #1 NT in the draft. taking a great player at a position of need is never a bad thing, wether its on offense or defense.

but there are about 5 early-mid 1st-rnd projected tackles, so in this case seems to me you could take the best one of those remaining at #9 and it'd be a good pick.

This yr, the draft is top-heavy with our position of need, so i think you go w/ that strategy for our 1st rnd pick. later on, pick the best player avail