Mike Iupati

LaDairis

Mike Iupati

6-5 330 amazingly athletic, doesn't look overly developed at that size, runs like a deer with impressive acceleration, unreal power from long arms and huge hands

quick off the snap

quick out of his stance

awesome firing out run blocking, and is able to STAY LOW going FORWARD

awesome at pulling and mauling moving targets

high and stiff in his pass protection set - too high - short quick NFL DTs will eat him alive on the pass rush

something less than a Rhodes Scholar

Let's be perfectly clear. This kid, as an OG for Idaho, was either run blocking straight ahead or pulling the vast majority of snaps. For Idaho, the "brass" must have believed his best value was at OG (and not OT, as they tried him there, and, well, they kept him at OG) because of the scheme that asked the OLs to run block or pull most of the time.

A kid with Mike Iupati's resume, that kid is not for the OFFENSE. Rather, he is for the DEFENSE.

Mike Iupati should have played DT at Idaho, and if he had, he'd probably be a top 5 pick. Given his skill set, it really wouldn't take much time at all to put him where he belongs, start him as part of the DT rotation, and develop him.

Mike is a better athlete than Albert Haynesworth at about the same size, a size where Albert looks heavy and Mike doesn't because Mike's frame is that huge.

Maybe, maybe Leonard Davis could keep Iupati out of the backfield without help... maybe... but no OG in the AFC East could. Faneca would have his rear shoved right back into Sanchez' taco...

Mike Iupati

6-5 330 amazingly athletic, doesn't look overly developed at that size, runs like a deer with impressive acceleration, unreal power from long arms and huge hands

quick off the snap

quick out of his stance

awesome firing out run blocking, and is able to STAY LOW going FORWARD

awesome at pulling and mauling moving targets

high and stiff in his pass protection set - too high - short quick NFL DTs will eat him alive on the pass rush

something less than a Rhodes Scholar

Let's be perfectly clear. This kid, as an OG for Idaho, was either run blocking straight ahead or pulling the vast majority of snaps. For Idaho, the "brass" must have believed his best value was at OG (and not OT, as they tried him there, and, well, they kept him at OG) because of the scheme that asked the OLs to run block or pull most of the time.

A kid with Mike Iupati's resume, that kid is not for the OFFENSE. Rather, he is for the DEFENSE.

Mike Iupati should have played DT at Idaho, and if he had, he'd probably be a top 5 pick. Given his skill set, it really wouldn't take much time at all to put him where he belongs, start him as part of the DT rotation, and develop him.

Mike is a better athlete than Albert Haynesworth at about the same size, a size where Albert looks heavy and Mike doesn't because Mike's frame is that huge.

Maybe, maybe Leonard Davis could keep Iupati out of the backfield without help... maybe... but no OG in the AFC East could. Faneca would have his rear shoved right back into Sanchez' taco...

Didn't we draft about 5 players and immediately place them in a new position last year? At least those stayed on the same side of the ball. Don't waste a first round pick on a guy that you want to flip flop from Off to Def please!

All I know is I was never a part of the "let's move Iupati to LT (or even RT)" crowd. As for moving him to DT, sure he could probably excel there eventually, but spending a mid first round pick on a guy who probably would basically have a redshirt NFL rookie season is not something most teams would do. Wait, this is a Buffalo Bills forum!!!!! <_< Seriously though, I'm hoping the new regime doesn't resort to the same old crap and drafts solid players who have done it before and not guys who "could be"..........

All I know is I was never a part of the "let's move Iupati to LT (or even RT)" crowd. As for moving him to DT, sure he could probably excel there eventually, but spending a mid first round pick on a guy who probably would basically have a redshirt NFL rookie season is not something most teams would do. Wait, this is a Buffalo Bills forum!!!!! <_< Seriously though, I'm hoping the new regime doesn't resort to the same old crap and drafts solid players who have done it before and not guys who "could be"..........

I would not mind at all if we could find some veteran to man LT for a year or two if we drafted Iupati and had a line of:

LT Veteran FA

LG Levitre

C Wood

RG Iupati

RT Butler

This is assuming of course that Wood returns to almost full strength and Butler can hold up a season. This would make for a good enough OL to get a veteran QB somehow and possibly compete. It also gives us much better depth on the OL.

Didn't we draft about 5 players and immediately place them in a new position last year? At least those stayed on the same side of the ball. Don't waste a first round pick on a guy that you want to flip flop from Off to Def please!

I didn't see him say anything about the 1st rd.

I would not mind at all if we could find some veteran to man LT for a year or two if we drafted Iupati and had a line of:

LT Veteran FA

LG Levitre

C Wood

RG Iupati

RT Butler

This is assuming of course that Wood returns to almost full strength and Butler can hold up a season. This would make for a good enough OL to get a veteran QB somehow and possibly compete. It also gives us much better depth on the OL.

We don't need any Gs we have plenty of depth there.

LT Veteran FA

LG Levitre

C Wood

RG Iupati

RT Butler

That is more of a dream scenerio offensive line. I would really like it if we were to draft Iupoti even if it means getting him with the 9th pick overall.

I didn't see him say anything about the 1st rd.

Last year at this time, the two top rated OGs on every guru board were Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson, neither of which ended up Drafted before Round 5.

Lots and lots of MORONS believe

BIG=GOOD

especially if they can parrot that from "gurus."

If the NFL evaluates Iupati as just an OG, it is possible he falls hard, past Round 2. The kid projects to be a permanent disaster as an OL in the NFL in pass protection wherever he is lined up, and the NFL may even figure that out, even if the Duke and Herman fans never will.

If only one team figures out he is a Top 5 caliber DT prospect and gets him, say, top of Round 3, not bad...

LT Veteran FA

LG Levitre

C Wood

RG Iupati

RT Butler

That OL would allow 100 sacks in 16 games even if Vick was the QB... which he wouldn't be... for more than a few games... because nobody but Clark Kent could survive as a Bills QB behind that OL.

"Mike Iupati should have played DT at Idaho, and if he had, he'd probably be a top 5 pick. Given his skill set, it really wouldn't take much time at all to put him where he belongs, start him as part of the DT rotation, and develop him.

Mike is a better athlete than Albert Haynesworth at about the same size, a size where Albert looks heavy and Mike doesn't because Mike's frame is that huge."

Sounds like a modern day Tom Sestak.

"Mike Iupati should have played DT at Idaho, and if he had, he'd probably be a top 5 pick. Given his skill set, it really wouldn't take much time at all to put him where he belongs, start him as part of the DT rotation, and develop him.

Mike is a better athlete than Albert Haynesworth at about the same size, a size where Albert looks heavy and Mike doesn't because Mike's frame is that huge."

Sounds like a modern day Tom Sestak.

The learning curve for a TE or OL to switch to DL is very short. Anyone remember whether Sestak was good his first year?

I like the thinking. I wonder sometimes how much NFL scouts and evaluators look at potential, and how willing they are, specifically, to move guys into different spots. Peters was a no brainer - 370lb TE's just don't exist. Anyway, good thinking, although in this case it'd be tough to draft that early on a project. But, I'd give late picks or UDFA's that chance.

Iupati looked terrible in the Senior Bowl. His technique is awful.

Well, I am standing by my statement that I think he is going to be an all pro in this league. It is just an observation after watching him in the Humanitarian bowl.

after reading your O-Line post, I think you have something wrong with your brain man. Might want to get it looked at.

Yes, indeed, I don't just get all of "my opinions" by parroting others like you, so something is "wrong" with me, because I use my brain, and you never have, in part because nobody is more certain that your brain doesn't work than... you.

Iupati looked terrible in the Senior Bowl. His technique is awful.

It is all about his pass protection set. He is too high and stiff and awkward in his pass protection set, and cannot transfer his power from the set.

He is "structurally flawed" to play OL, as many giants before him proved in the NFL.

As a run blocker, the kid is as good as it gets. Problem: NFL OLs cannot JUST RUN BLOCK... they have to be able to pass block too.

Well, I am standing by my statement that I think he is going to be an all pro in this league. It is just an observation after watching him in the Humanitarian bowl.

Yeah, just watching him maul all those future pro bowlers on...

BOWLING GREEN's DEFENSE...

Aw what's the use...

How many DLs from Bowling Green will make an NFL roster...????

Hint: answer begins with "z"