Is Gailey a step down from Cowher

For sure when it comes down to marketing the move.

A Cowher hiring would have brought excitement from the fan base likely exceeding but certainly unparalleled since the thousands of season tickets sold in the immediate aftermath of the Drew Bledsoe get.

However, we all saw how that turned out.

The HC is likely far more important to the team's longer term prospects than the QB, but in terms of the ultimate measure of winning an SB there is simply no record whatsoever of an HC being able to win an SB with a team after he won one with another team.

The Gailey hiring strikes me as far from a no-brainer as the right thing to do. However, it does strike me as likely bringing the thing that Cowher likely would have brought which is a playoff appearance relatively soon (he needs to show positive progress toward making the playoffs in 2010 and make the playoffs or come pretty darn close by 2011 or he should be gone).

I doubt Cowher would have done better so for me the answer as a fan is wait and see how I feel about the hiring but as always I feel the same way about the team.

Cowher lost 4 AFC Championship games in his own house that he should have won. No one this offseason has offered him a job other than us. Cowher was about to be ran out of Pittsburgh before he retired.

Can we drop the Bill Cowher BS already?

Cowher lost 4 AFC Championship games in his own house that he should have won. No one this offseason has offered him a job other than us. Cowher was about to be ran out of Pittsburgh before he retired.

Can we drop the Bill Cowher BS already?

Um, no.

Cowher absolutely was the best candidate.

So yeah, Gailey was a step down. But that's over. The question isn't how he compares to anyone else at this point, it's how well he will do.

For sure when it comes down to marketing the move.

A Cowher hiring would have brought excitement from the fan base likely exceeding but certainly unparalleled since the thousands of season tickets sold in the immediate aftermath of the Drew Bledsoe get.

However, we all saw how that turned out.

The HC is likely far more important to the team's longer term prospects than the QB, but in terms of the ultimate measure of winning an SB there is simply no record whatsoever of an HC being able to win an SB with a team after he won one with another team.

The Gailey hiring strikes me as far from a no-brainer as the right thing to do. However, it does strike me as likely bringing the thing that Cowher likely would have brought which is a playoff appearance relatively soon (he needs to show positive progress toward making the playoffs in 2010 and make the playoffs or come pretty darn close by 2011 or he should be gone).

I doubt Cowher would have done better so for me the answer as a fan is wait and see how I feel about the hiring but as always I feel the same way about the team.

Yes, but who cares? What's done is done. I've been a Bills fan for 20 years and will always be a Bills fan. You'll never see a whiny "I'm done post from me", but I'm pretty worn down and disillusioned by the past two months.

Um, no.

Cowher absolutely was the best candidate.

So yeah, Gailey was a step down. But that's over. The question isn't how he compares to anyone else at this point, it's how well he will do.

So where's the outcry to hire Mike Martz or Brian Billick? Each is as qualified as Cowher!

The difference is that the smacktards that inhabit this board seem to believe that screaming and yelling like a lunatic on the sidelines equates to wins. If that were the case Carl Mauck would be in the Hall of Fame.