Having problems with my IP address.

Huuuge Bills

EDIT: It's fixed now.

About a week ago I tried to log onto my PS3 and it kept saying "the attempt to obtain the IP address timed out." I went into my network settings, and everything is the same as it always has been.

I then looked under the IP address listed, and it says (private networks only). I tried using my neighbors wireless connection (with their permission), and it works just fine. Is there any way I can fix this?

If it helps any, I'm using Time Warner roadrunner for my internet service. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need to buy a 360. :flirt:

Seriously though, it sounds like your router (and/or cable modem) might be going bad -- it's not giving out DHCP leases (ie: it's broken). I had a Linksys router that stopped giving out DHCP leases and then died a few months later.

About a week ago I tried to log onto my PS3 and it kept saying "the attempt to obtain the IP address timed out." I went into my network settings, and everything is the same as it always has been.

I then looked under the IP address listed, and it says (private networks only). I tried using my neighbors wireless connection (with their permission), and it works just fine. Is there any way I can fix this?

If it helps any, I'm using Time Warner roadrunner for my internet service. Thanks in advance.

umm.. doesn't the private network mean a lan setting where all the ps3's are connected through 1 router? Can you connect via your computer?

a) First...do you have a modem and a router. If your router (wireless or not) won't accept your ps3 (and you don't know why) then reset your router to remove any programmed security. (any other explaining would be too involved)

b) plug your game directly into your modem (if that don't work call Time Warner)

Sounds like you need to buy a 360. :devil:

Seriously though, it sounds like your router (and/or cable modem) might be going bad -- it's not giving out DHCP leases (ie: it's broken). I had a Linksys router that stopped giving out DHCP leases and then died a few months later.

a) First...do you have a modem and a router. If your router (wireless or not) won't accept your ps3 (and you don't know why) then reset your router to remove any programmed security. (any other explaining would be too involved)

b) plug your game directly into your modem (if that don't work call Time Warner)

Thanks for the ideas guys, right after I wrote the message I just tried unplugging everything (router, modem, PS3). After I plugged it back in, it started working. Doesn't make any sense to me, but at least it works now. :wallbash:

Thanks for the ideas guys, right after I wrote the message I just tried unplugging everything (router, modem, PS3). After I plugged it back in, it started working. Doesn't make any sense to me, but at least it works now. :wallbash:

Like I said, it means that your router is starting to go (assuming the router is what assigns your IP address to your internal network - which is how things are setup 99% of the time). You'll probably want to think about buying a new one at some point, because one day it'll just stop working. :devil:

Ah a computer tech I can identify with. I have to unplug my modem or router like once a week. The trick is to know the proper sequence of the green lights on the front[two solid, two flashing, what ever it may be] when it's working. Than you know where to look when theres a problem. BTW I just had a problem with my router and it turned out the cable from the modem dosn't lock in properly. I look to see if the "internet" light is flashing and if not I give the cable a little push and it comes up.