My initial out of the playoff thoughts for 2010

Now that the team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, the braintrust (or so called) can officially turn its efforts and vocalizations to how to make the playoffs next year (we have been practically eliminated for quite awhile but Bum's kid graphically demonstrated why no team should give up on making the playoffs if there is any even small mathematical chance of making it).

These are my initial thoughts which I look forward to changing and perfecting as I see more discussion in places such as TSW.

I plan to go through this unit by unit as far as players, but it is all in the context of the simple fact is that the buck has to start and stop with the owner before we look elsewhere for a new savior to pillory.

Whine about Jauron all you want (cause he deserves it) but the simple fact is that at worse he deserves blame for 4 years of the 0 for a decade playoff less streak and Mr. Ralph had his hand on the throttle and the steering wheel for all ten.

Mr. Ralph does deserve great thanks for making the original super smart business investment and for keeping the team here in our small market. However, right along with this well deserved praise has to come a clear acknowledgment that from the general approach and tone he has suffused his team with Mr. Ralph is the responsible party for our record of failure.

However, as much as it may be deserved you cannot fire the owner in our economic system, and in the end its hard to fire the team owner. In addition, to the general tone of mismanagement Mr. Ralph ia directly responsible for a number for a number of snafus that have us rooting for a perrenial loser.

We need a real GM. We need that GM to pick an HC. We need a strength and conditioning coach, etc.

From there this memo look at the team unit by unit-

I would start at QB as I think the direction we want to go is quite clear. A good QB is key since this player does handle the ball on basically every offensive play, but I am one of those who feels that even that good QB play is necessary it is way far away from sufficient. It has simply been an almost psychotic over focus on the QB spot which has been critical to the reign of error us fans have been pummeled by this last decade.

I will come back to the QB later as it is far more important that this team become a TEAM rather than worrying too much about finding the next Jim Kelly.

WR- Actually some depth in this unit right now which only goes to demonstrate how ineffective AVP was in designing an offense on the short notice he had which maximized some good things we had (Jackson and Lynch were never employed in a way which effectively used their full potential and different skills. The off-season is likely going to lead to departure of some of the WR talent, yet there is a base left with pretty good potential which can be augmented in the draft or FA to make this a powerful unit- My sense is:

Evans- Great potential but potential means you have not done anything yet. Evans has done some things but still has not be well utilized or part of an effective O which would allow him to become the Pro Bowler I think he could be,

Johnson- I do not see him as having shown enough to be our #2 yet, but he is a big target who has shown flashes of brilliance that leads me to think he could turn into a solid #3 for us.

Reed- Horrible drop near the goalline on Sunday was pretty much unlike the current Reed (he looked more like the second year Reed who had terminal droppsies his second year, Still could be a valuable #4 in empty backfield sets, and a good back-up if one of the top three got hurt. A valuable ST guy also with RB chops.

Hardy- Nothing but potential as he has never escaped the injury bug long enough to get established. You cannot teach tall though and he is a big target if the Bills get their O together.

Overall- If only we had a real O that TO could have fit in and he and Evans could have played off each other to be a potent duo. It is worth us using the $6 million we have unallocated when TO heads off to get a WR who draws attention away from Evans.

CB- I also like our depth here (even after losing Greer there was a lot of talent here.

McGee- Our #1 wheb healthy and has shaped into being a good #1. Not shut down but fast enough and experienced enough that we should have no fear with being matched against the best WRs. Rotator cuff injury is not fun but is not damage to his wheels so he should recover.

McKelvin- The excitement (usually positive but some young player bad judgments) he brings at returns actually distracts from the fact he was shaping into being a pretty good cover guy.

Florence- Some good flashes when he has been pressed into service as our #1 CB and thus I have no problem with him playing the nickel role when McGee McKelvin recover.

Corner- a bit overmatched when forced into service as a starting CB but again this makes me extremely comfortable when we get healthy and he is our dime guy.

Youbouty proved to be too injured to ever do anything and Lankster gives some potential depth 4 deep with guys who have started and some Ss who can cover deep have us strong at this position (and we should be after spending a number of #1s on CBs.

Safety- Again very deep

Byrd- Probably NFK D rookie of the year but leading the NFL in the high profile (though sometimes ovemohasized INT stat may make him starting Pro Bowl S,

Whitner- Has not come out as one of the best as he seemed like he possibly would but even if he does not he is a good experienced safety

Wilson- I like him as a player and has made the jump from O to D well. A very good #3 S.

Wendling- OK special teamer but 3 is deep enough given our load of CBs,

More later

Good read. This team is really not that far behind to become a above 500 team. A new Coach (no PF), A new QB and a new offensive scheme. The O Line will get better next year.

I for one think we are pretty far off. We have the worst run D in the league and nothing that resembles an OL. We beat a terrilbe Tampa team, and had a good win agaisnt the Dolphins (who just lost their big time NT the week before), but after that:

It took 6 Ints and OT to barely beat a bad Jets team

A ton more Ints to barely beat a middle of the road and struggleing Carolina team

A Chris Chambers drop to barely beat a horrible Chiefs team

6-3 loss to the Browns

17-10 (really more like 17-3) loss to the worst Pats team this decade playing without two all pro Dlineman

We dont even have a good foundation to move forward. We have great DBs and very solid RBs but thats about it. We have Evans who is a great speed guy, but after that Hardy and Johnson but basically they prolly suck and we have no clue if they will ever be good. We have Nelson at TE and no one else is worth keeping. We have one OL we can count on to start next season and be satisfied with (Levitre). We have one young and good DL to be happy with (K. Williams). And one LB who is a decent starter (Poz). After that there is no one of the team worth a damn under 30. Butler may be back but not at full strength. Wood may be done for good. We never had a LT or a good C. Stroud is old, so is Schobel, and Kelsay should have been cut in 2004. Mitchell was average and will be worse with the ACL, Ellison is the worst linebacker in the history of the position. We can limp on with guys like Hangartner but they need replacing if we wanna make the playoffs. Stroud and Schobel still rpoduce which is nice but schobel especially is super over priced. There is so much wrong with this team its going to catch up with them soon if they dont do something about it.