Loyalty and the question WHY?

30dive

SO here I am wondering about my commitment to my beloved Buffalo Bills? I know that I am no greater a fan than the rest of you, and many people travel farther than I do and spend more money on our Buffalo Bills. But this last decade of rebuilding and rebuilding has gotten very old. My questions are many but I can wrap all of my questions up with one word….Why?

WHY do I travel 440 roundtrip miles 10 times a year (8 this year) to see my Bills?

Why do I spend the money I do for my four season tickets?

Why do I spend money on local hotels, bars, restaurants and other forms of entertainment over long weekends in the Buffalo area?

Why do I purchase Bills gear for myself and my family, to the tune of over $500.00 this alone?

Why do I spend even more money on concessions, tailgating food, drink and parking?

My WHY list can go on and on, and I am sure many of you could add so much more, but I just can’t give up on my Bills can I? Understand that I am that dad that had to talk to my kids’ principle because I refused to let them go school on Pittsburgh Steelers colors day unless they could wear their Bills gear, she let them. I couldn’t live with the thought of the Bills leaving Buffalo because the fans left first, and I was part of that defection can I? How do I explain to my kids that daddy is no longer a fan of the team in which he screamed at the TV, spent the weekends and the money that our family has on our Buffalo Bills; That the trips to training camp in Rochester were just something fun to do, that it had nothing to do with my loyalty to my team; Can I honestly explain dropping my allegiance of the Bills to my kids?

So once again I will wait for the Bills to make magic in the off season, new coach, new players and new promises for the playoffs. But 2009 will bring with it just a bit more cynicism; I’ll probably offer a few games up for sale on Stub Hub, I’ll pass on training camp and most likely will assess my real need for a new Bills jersey or hat; I will probably make it a roundtrip on Sunday as opposed to spending even more money in town over long weekends. Yes 2009 will be different, but I’ll still be a Bills fan, albeit with one leg hanging off the wagon. I am still a Bills fan!

And hey the kids will be out of the house in seven years, if the Bills are still making their empty promises, I might then be able to walk away and take up a hobby.

SO here I am wondering about my commitment to my beloved Buffalo Bills? I know that I am no greater a fan than the rest of you, and many people travel farther than I do and spend more money on our Buffalo Bills. But this last decade of rebuilding and rebuilding has gotten very old. My questions are many but I can wrap all of my questions up with one word….Why?

WHY do I travel 440 roundtrip miles 10 times a year (8 this year) to see my Bills?

Why do I spend the money I do for my four season tickets?

Why do I spend money on local hotels, bars, restaurants and other forms of entertainment over long weekends in the Buffalo area?

Why do I purchase Bills gear for myself and my family, to the tune of over $500.00 this alone?

Why do I spend even more money on concessions, tailgating food, drink and parking?

My WHY list can go on and on, and I am sure many of you could add so much more, but I just can’t give up on my Bills can I? Understand that I am that dad that had to talk to my kids’ principle because I refused to let them go school on Pittsburgh Steelers colors day unless they could wear their Bills gear, she let them. I couldn’t live with the thought of the Bills leaving Buffalo because the fans left first, and I was part of that defection can I? How do I explain to my kids that daddy is no longer a fan of the team in which he screamed at the TV, spent the weekends and the money that our family has on our Buffalo Bills; That the trips to training camp in Rochester were just something fun to do, that it had nothing to do with my loyalty to my team; Can I honestly explain dropping my allegiance of the Bills to my kids?

So once again I will wait for the Bills to make magic in the off season, new coach, new players and new promises for the playoffs. But 2009 will bring with it just a bit more cynicism; I’ll probably offer a few games up for sale on Stub Hub, I’ll pass on training camp and most likely will assess my real need for a new Bills jersey or hat; I will probably make it a roundtrip on Sunday as opposed to spending even more money in town over long weekends. Yes 2009 will be different, but I’ll still be a Bills fan, albeit with one leg hanging off the wagon. I am still a Bills fan!

And hey the kids will be out of the house in seven years, if the Bills are still making their empty promises, I might then be able to walk away and take up a hobby.

:rolleyes: