Jon Kitna

mrpunchy

Again, this is so far from a neutral or accurate interpretation of what was meant by the "Hamdam craze" (my poor term, simply for this post), that it suggests you either won't, or can't, attempt to understand things other than through your already formed preconceptions (and with any sort of sense of humor).

Now, let me be clear about a few things: I didn't start the whole Chroise thing. As apus, mentions the Hamdan craze came from him, and was expanded with the help of a few other (normally fairly humorous) posters. I am simply sharing MY interpretation (which has already been, mostly, confirmed by apus). And, I hesitate to respond to your posts, as I have learned in the past, that sensible explanations rarely to far with you. I won't get into a back-and-forth with you about this, I will just lay it out, as I see it. Accept it, argue with yourself (or others), I don't really care.

OK, in order to understand the spirit of the Hamdan craze (Chroise and the like), in the spirit which it was intended (IMO) is to forget the rhetorical crap such as ""Losman camp", "Losman supporter", "Edwards supporters", "diehard Losman enthusiasts", etc. They don't really do anything except show that you see the fans as divided into two separate camps, and suggest you don't understand that many (if not most of us) are BILLS' FANS, BILLS' SUPPORTERS and BILLS' ENTHUSIASTS and support Trent, JP, and even Gibran.

Now I will give you that I see the Hamdam craze as, perhaps, a reaction to the relentless and vicious bashing of JP, by some members of TSW, but that is because these posters are Bills fans and, if they are like me, don't see the world in Black and White (you're GREAT or you SUCK) as do some of the poster's here...not because they were whining that Trent replaced JP. Again, this reaction MAY have played some small role, I'm not sure. (But, I will throw you that bone.)

But. it goes much further than that. Again, as apus mentions, it makes fun of the love of the backup among some posters (especially if the starter is struggling) and (at least the way I see it) the effusive praise that is often used to describe the "new guy"...until the ugly mob turns on him, and starts looking toward the new savior...the new #2 QB. The idea was, "let's get ahead of the ugly mob, and just start loving the new #2 NOW, as it is likely only a matter of time before they start trashing Trent". Mostly, of course, it was meant as a JOKE, to be funny. C'mon HA you know what I am talking about...humor.

So, I'm not sure if you get that, or not. Perhaps you have to believe that it HAS to have a serious negative basis, and is meant to disparage. If you have to believe that, then think of it this way: It's poking fun at you, not Trent. Does that help?

The people who have already replied to this post have written many of the things I'd want to say. That said, I'd like to address some of the things you'd written. You wrote that the Hamdan club was about humor. I'm not going to argue with that, except to point out (as you alluded to) that the joke was directed against anyone who'd supported Edwards over Losman.

You wrote, "I hesitate to respond to your posts, as I have learned in the past, that sensible explanations rarely to [sic] far with you." If you're familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality system, I'm a personality type INTJ. Like most other INTJs, I tend to rethink my opinions under two circumstances: 1) if new information has been provided, or 2) if a new underlying logic--which I hadn't previously considered--has been described. If in the past you've failed to get me to rethink specific opinions, it's probably because you didn't do either of those two things. In any case, many (most?) of the things you were trying to change my mind about were topics about which I've ultimately been proved right.

You urge me to forget about concepts like "Losman camp" or "Edwards camp," etc. This I cannot do, because I (and others who thought Losman would fail) have been called too many names by the members of the Losman camp to, at this point, start pretending that no Losman camp ever existed. I agree we all should act as though we're Bills fans. But that's not how many members of the Losman camp actually behaved, when confronted with opinions about Losman which differed from their own. I'm not trying to lump all Losman camp members into one group. There were those, such as Wraith, who argued Losman's case intelligently and without name-calling.

I'll agree that most or all members of the Losman camp support Trent this year. Whether they supported him last year is another question entirely.

Let's not mince words here. A lot of people here really wanted Losman to succeed. Not just because he was a Bills player, or because his success would help the team. They took a personal interest in him, and felt a lot more emotion about his career than about, say, the recent McCargo trade/admission of bust. (Both were lower first round draft picks.) These members of the Losman camp became so emotionally invested in that one player that they responded very strongly when anyone made negative statements about Losman. Calling Losman a mentally limited quarterback who'd never make it as a starter in the NFL was almost like calling their wives ugly and unfaithful. And that made it kind of difficult to have an intelligent discussion about him on these boards.

Why wouldn't we want to? We will need a veteran backup next year. He has been productive. I bet a conditional 6 or 7th round pick could get it done. And, as much as I like Trent he has an injury history. Kitna is signed through 2009. His current salary is $2.95 million. Next year, it drops to $1.95 million.

People have too much time to think during a bye week.