Fred Jackson still a bill

Fingon

So, the trade deadline is there to protect teams from making trades too late, because they won't be able to properly use the players they acquire? Are you suggesting the owners voted in this rule to protect them from themselves?

Nah, I don't even know if that's the reason or not. It's my best guess. Truthfully, football is a much different sport from hockey or baseball or basketball, as far as preparation and understanding what your team is doing.

The salary cap alone makes trades almost non-existent....On top of that, why would you make a trade if you weren't sure you could even fully utilize the guy you trade for?

Tony Gonzalez learning a brand new offense is not the same as Manny Ramirez seeing new pitchers. Hence my theory that they make it earlier rather than later.

Nah, I don't even know if that's the reason or not. It's my best guess. Truthfully, football is a much different sport from hockey or baseball or basketball, as far as preparation and understanding what your team is doing.

The salary cap alone makes trades almost non-existent....On top of that, why would you make a trade if you weren't sure you could even fully utilize the guy you trade for?

Tony Gonzalez learning a brand new offense is not the same as Manny Ramirez seeing new pitchers. Hence my theory that they make it earlier rather than later.

My opinion is that the NFL's trade deadline is so early inthe season because they want to avoid the Rent-A-Player system that has become so big in the NHL and MLB. Part of me really hates the way a team can pick up a star player only a month or so before a playoff run in hockey and baseball. I think it's good that the NFL avoids this situation with such an early trade deadline. You should go into the final playoff battle with guys that have been on your team for most of the season.

My opinion is that the NFL's trade deadline is so early inthe season because they want to avoid the Rent-A-Player system that has become so big in the NHL and MLB. Part of me really hates the way a team can pick up a star player only a month or so before a playoff run in hockey and baseball. I think it's good that the NFL avoids this situation with such an early trade deadline. You should go into the final playoff battle with guys that have been on your team for most of the season.

Baseball's is still pretty early. Ramirez and Sabathia were HUGE parts of their teams' success this year, and were around for 60 games or so. Obviously, there are ways around the trade "deadline", as far as clearing waivers and such.

The NHL deadline does seem to be more of a salarly dump, though, you're right...The teams at the bottom look to unload their big names who play the last month-and-a-half with a contender.

However, you could argue that it helps the competitive balance, in that bad teams get some prospects in return, rather than just losing a high-priced player for nothing. And it gives teams like the Brewers a chance to "go for broke" and acquire a major talent to make one strong push that season.

Trades are so rare in the NFL, in-season especially, that I guess earlier makes sense. At least teams know they will have 9 or 10 games with a player they acquire. And like you said, if the Bills pick up Gonzalez, by the end of the year he will be a Bill...Not "that guy from the Chiefs" that they picked up in week 12.