The 2007 draft could be a lot different . . .

Orton's Arm

I don't think drafting a CB in the first round should be our choice, and I don't think it will be the best way to improve the team.

I think that we need to get the best player we can at #12 (and at with pretty much every pick), and not try to patch perceived needs, which are very often not the real needs over the course of a season much less 2 or 3.

I would like to go on record as saying that I'm fine with Youboty and McGee at corners and KT or someone else at nickel IF Nate is too expensive and the most talented football player at our first couple picks is not a CB.

I also don't buy the DT #1 as a necessity, because McCargo, Kyle, and Larry are good, and while we need a 4th guy to replace Anderson, he doesn't have to be our top off season pickup if that isn't our best value. I wouldn't mind seeing it at all, although I'm personally more concerned about our two guards.

bflodan said it well, don't reach because you are desperate. Relax, get the best players available, and over the years you are a better organization for it. Free Agency is the place to fill I-Need-It-Now. The draft is a place to get the most football talent and value you can year after year as lots of needs and holes change.

Talented draft picks over five years are worth way way more than perceived year one impact.

I'll agree with the heart of your post up to a point. If you're, say, the 49ers of a while back, and if you have Montana and Young as your two QBs, you don't draft a QB with a first day pick. I don't care if he's the best player available or not. You have to ask yourself over the course of several years, will this player have a realistic opportunity to significantly upgrade this team? The answer to that question depends on how good a player the pick himself is, as well as the caliber of player he'd be replacing.

But I completely agree that it almost never makes sense to take an inferior player just because you think you're desperate to find anything with which to fill that position.