BILLS VISION

CAT

Truth is we can not keep/get all the players we daydream about. So what drives your offseason plan. Its your vision. I think Buffalos needs to be strong defense and special teams with a solid control offense offense. Also youth and depth versus big name expensive guys and retention versus recruitment or FA. Think about it: bad weather for 25% of the season,limited budget and limited appeal for manf FA. I think we keep our key FA except LF unless NC does not want to stay. We use our 1 and 2 on impact positions were special physical skills seperate good from solid players(not O line). Finally I think we are in year 2 of a 3 year plan when looking at a championship caliber team. So, we will get a DT, MLB, and TE with our top 3 picks/FA. The next 3 are O line,oline and speed at RB. Next year we replace WM and Spikes

I like this topic. Thanks for posting it.

My opinion, similar to yours, is that the Bills Vision starts with defensive speed and pressure with great tacklers, continues with special teams, and ends with offensive ball control, spreading the field with deep threats, and player stamina for 4th quarter "finishing the job".

The most recent draft underscores the commitment to defense. We are out to one-up the "Dungy-2", with a better run defense up the middle, but with similar safety play. Bob Sanders has been huge for the Colts; our safeties will begin to show that same temperament next year. To meet the Vision I think the middle needs shoring up (Crowell to the middle, healthy Spikes, more experienced Ellison, use Stamer if he can handle the speed, draft one more LB, test out John McCargo, draft or sign one beefy DT).

Bobby April has worked his magic with the special teams, but also has outstanding speed and tackling to work with. To meet the Vision, the front office will sign players who were also strong in special teams,

On offense, ball control is essential in Buffalo weather, global warming notwithstanding. The big, fast backs (I include McGahee) are vital The Saints have shown you need two. Two play making but hard-blocking TE's are vital, and we have 3/4 of one (Royal is close but I haven't seen both qualities in Cieslak or Everett yet). Finally, it takes two pro bowl WR's, and we have one. To meet the Vision I think we need another big fast back (I think Michael Turner of the Chargers is the best FA choice, and we may draft one or TWO RB-FB types--Brian Leonard of Rutgers is big and fast, as is Michael Bush of Louisville). The TE I'd like to see here is Zach Miller, ASU. He's another Todd Heap. Finally, Dwayne Jarrett is the WR that fits the Vision. He's big, fast, a mismatch, and takes pressure out of the middle where big RB's want to run.

Who do you get rid of that isn't part of the Vision? Daimon Shelton (concussion) is probably gone, Neufeld (plantar fasciitis) will need surgery but isn't the blocker anyway, Villarrial (ankle) will need surgery and I'd like to see him as a backup. Clements fits the defensive Vision, but Fletcher-Baker needs to be moved.

looking at were we are contract wise right now we are 4 primary and 4 secondary gaps away from very solid,assumming our young guys continue to progress. Primary: cb,dt,mlb,og. Secondary:#3 de,#2/3 ot,#2/3 cb, o playmaker at rb or te. We will probably cover the #3 de,#2/3cb by keeping our own guys (Kelsey and KT). That leaves 7 gaps. I think it takes 2 years to get all the way there. If we can get 5 of these filled through FA and the draft that will be a solid offseason. I see our 1 and 2 going d. Keeping NC would be big but I am not confident.