100 most Influential Americans

Yes, Joseph Nutsack, you have hurt my feelings.

And what is wrong with Good Housekeeping? Is there a better magazine for

recipes, party tips, and consumer advice?

857172[/snapback]

"Nutsack"!?!

Now yer talkin' you revisionist hack!

Now if you'll excuse me the Game Show Network is showing it's 100 greatest moments in Match Game history and they're up to #34 when Fannie Flagg comes to the realization that Charles Nelson Reilly has no interest in progeny.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Nutsack"!?!

Now yer talkin' you revisionist hack!

Now if you'll excuse me the Game Show Network is showing it's 100 greatest moments in Match Game history and they're up to #34 when Fannie Flagg comes to the realization that Charles Nelson Reilly has no interest in progeny.

857185[/snapback]

My top 100 game show participants.

1. Ken Jennings

2. Kitty Carlisle

3. Jamie Farr

4. Paul Linde.....

...... 99. Charles Nelson Reilly

100. That game show contestant that said the strangest place she made Whoopie was in the butt.

Yes, Joseph Nutsack, you have hurt my feelings.

And what is wrong with Good Housekeeping? Is there a better magazine for

recipes, party tips, and consumer advice?

857172[/snapback]

How to hable espanol with your new neighbors.

So your stepson is on drugs: horror stories from the "front lines."

My vacuum is the only therapist I need.

Ten signs that your son is gay, and how to confront him with it.

I think my neighbor is a terrorist cell member: How vigilance can save your neighborhood.

My daughter is in an interacial relationship: What to tell your circle of friends.

What desegregation of your children's school means for your family.

How to hable espanol with your new neighbors.

This is my gun, si?

So your stepson is on drugs: horror stories from the "front lines."

Bastard stole my stash.

Ten signs that your son is gay, and how to confront him with it.

Son, are you sucking the flesh of man?

I think my neighbor is a terrorist cell member: How vigilance can save your neighborhood.]

Listen, I just want to be dropped off at the corner. Please, I am begging you to stop the cab.....

My daughter is in an interacial relationship: What to tell your circle of friends. Yes, I quit my job because Jenny is going to have Lebron James baby, and we'll be hiring a lawyer because we want what's best for her...

What desegregation of your children's school means for your family.

My son is not going to school with the !@#$ing Catholics!

If Lincoln is the most influential American, then John Wilkes Booth should definitely be in the Top 100. The guy who killed the most influential American is definitely pretty influential himself.

Not to mention how much different post-Civil War USA was under Johnson than it would have been under Lincoln.

If Lincoln is the most influential American, then John Wilkes Booth should definitely be in the Top 100.  The guy who killed the most influential American is definitely pretty influential himself.

Not to mention how much different post-Civil War USA was under Johnson than it would have been under Lincoln.

857296[/snapback]

Interesting idea. If you were to say how he influenced history itself, I would probably agree with you. I think perhaps the disconnect is that he didn't have ideas that really influenced the country (rather, they were reflective of already existing ideas). So, his actions did influence history but I don't think they really influence the way we approach the world today as much as those of many others.

Good point, nonetheless.

If Lincoln is the most influential American, then John Wilkes Booth should definitely be in the Top 100.  The guy who killed the most influential American is definitely pretty influential himself.

857296[/snapback]

Oh brother. Lincoln is influential for what he did when he was alive, DUH! Who knows what he would have done had he lived? Impossible to tell. Your idiotic post is counter factual history.

Oh brother. Lincoln is influential for what he did when he was alive, DUH! Who knows what he would have done had he lived? Impossible to tell. Your idiotic post is counter factual history.

857350[/snapback]

Booth didn't shoot Lincoln.

Reagan was the architech of ending the Cold War???? Why not Truman for starting containment? Or Nixon for splitting the communist world? Or the fall in oil prices that killed the soviet block? Or the fact that Communism just doesn't work and it was bound to fall?

857345[/snapback]

Truman is to the Cold War what Clinton is to welfare reform. Yes, they both did something, but not because they wanted to.

Reagan based nearly his whole presidency around winning the Cold War--a goal which he achieved.

1. He built up the U.S economy.

2. He used this increased economic strength to build up the U.S. military

3. Instead of blathering on about common ground between America and the Soviets (as Carter did), Reagan clearly defined the Soviet Union as an Evil Empire. He contrasted this evil with the vision of freedom he articulated for America. Reagan's view was expressed with such simplicity, such clarity, and so much repetition, that it was able to spread far beyond American borders, and influence events in far away places.

4. Reagan supplied weapons to Afghan rebels--rebels which were ultimately successful in ending the Soviet occupation of their nation. I've heard it said that the Afghan War was the Soviets' equivalent of Vietnam.

5. Reagan restored American prestige in the world. He walked a fine line, and avoided Carter-like weakness, as well as George W. Bush-like overaggression and overbearing behavior.

6. He helped reduce the number of nuclear weapons in the world. First he built up the U.S. nuclear weapons supply, then he traded away those buildups for Soviet concessions.

Ultimately, Reagan's vision of freedom was delivered so persuasively that Gorbachev felt he had to do something. So Gorbachev began offering limited freedoms to the Soviet people. This paved the way to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Democrats fought Reagan every step of the way. They fought him when he wanted to increase military spending; saying the money should be used for schools. (Never mind the fact that a voucher system would increase school effectiveness while reducing cost.) Democrats successfully resisted Reagan's efforts to send military aid to the anti-communist freedom fighters in Nicaragua. Democrats called Reagan a war-monger and a cowboy after his "Evil Empire" speech. They accused him of taking too hard a line against the Soviet Union, and repeatedly urged him to soften his stance. Democrats resisted nearly every step Reagan took to end the Cold War.

Booth didn't undo the accomplishments Lincoln had already made, like winning the Civil War. Nothing the ultra white supremicist Booth did changed that.

857430[/snapback]

But he stopped everything he would have done in his second term and changed the entire Reconstruction by putting Andrew Johnson in office.

He changed the course of the country more dramatically than almost every President.

Kind of an interesting topic, but the one thing that i noticed, and don't think that i am a die hard supporter of this, i didn't see him on the list, but John F. Kennedy doesn't get any love?

I realize that he was only in office for two years, and the the thing he's known for the most is his assassination. But are we forgetting the guy that brought us into the space age?

Granted the space age may have happened JFK or not, but who is to say that the American Revolution would not have happened had it not been for the founding fathers?

JFK gave us a direction in the Cold War for the first time. By bringing us into space we now have cell phones and satelites that are used for both television and keeping our country safe every day. It was this move that makes America the super power that they are today.

Can you ignore him? I'm not sure.