This Drunk Down the Road

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what source are you pulling this "information" from?  A house worth $100K is really not worth that much.  So how do you know this person actually did not have the money? Are you a doctor?  There can be multitude of legitimate reasons a non drunk can loose their liver. As said before, the chances of a drunk getting a new liver are minimal at best.

836699[/snapback]

Look right here, all they say is you cant CONTINUE to use drugs and alcohol after the transplant. Sign a I promise note and you are good to go

http://www.liverfoundation.org/db/articles/1016

Well that must prove your case then  ;)  :doh:

836715[/snapback]

Alcoholic liver disease (ALD) is the second most common indication for liver transplants in the U.S. and Europe. Although reported survival rates after transplantation were similar between alcoholics and non-alcoholics (up to 60 percent at 7 years following transplant), concerns about alcohol relapse post-transplant have made the practice somewhat controversial, especially in light of the shortage of donor organs. To offset this risk, it is common practice to establish a 6 month period of abstinence from alcohol before listing a patient for liver transplant. Not only may improvement in liver function result, but higher rates of relapse have been reported in patients who have abstained for less than 6 months before undergoing transplantation. Although several previous studies analyzed the rate of alcohol relapse after liver transplantation and its influence on patient survival and transplant success, researchers had previously not studied patients for a longer follow-up period.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=21623

:w00t::doh:

What no 78?

My world goes to 78.

Makes everyone sound like Alvin and Theodore.

836689[/snapback]

I had a cabbie once that I got into a discussion on record collecting with. He collected old 78s. They don't make record players that go to 78, but you can convert one that does 33 and 45 into a 78 (33 + 45 = 78). I never thought of it that way, and was pretty damn amazed. I was, of course, also quite drunk at the time, so while I could now figure out how to play a 78 with a standard player with minor adjustments, I will not qualify for a liver.

I had a cabbie once that I got into a discussion on record collecting with.  He collected old 78s.  They don't make record players that go to 78, but you can convert one that does 33 and 45 into a 78 (33 + 45 = 78). I never thought of it that way, and was pretty damn amazed.  I was, of course, also quite drunk at the time, so while I could now figure out how to play a 78 with a standard player with minor adjustments, I will not qualify for a liver.

836739[/snapback]

The Blue Ribbon label should have a liver fund. It's just not right. ;)

David Crosby, Mickey Mantle, Pat Sumerall. I could be wrong on Sumerall.

Those guys never drank or took any drugs.

836790[/snapback]

If Pat Summerall needs a liver transplant, he should make John Madden pay for it and find him a liver.

I'd be driven to drinking too if I had to work with him.

I had a cabbie once that I got into a discussion on record collecting with.  He collected old 78s.  They don't make record players that go to 78, but you can convert one that does 33 and 45 into a 78 (33 + 45 = 78). I never thought of it that way, and was pretty damn amazed.  I was, of course, also quite drunk at the time, so while I could now figure out how to play a 78 with a standard player with minor adjustments, I will not qualify for a liver.

836739[/snapback]

Don't old turntables have a fourth speed setting? I seem to remember there being one...but I can't remember what it is.

Look right here, all they say is you cant CONTINUE to use drugs and alcohol after the transplant. Sign a I promise note and you are good to go

http://www.liverfoundation.org/db/articles/1016

836711[/snapback]

Right, those bullet points are definitive and there is no more complex criteria involved ;)

Alcoholic liver disease (ALD) is the second most common indication for liver transplants in the U.S. and Europe. Although reported survival rates after transplantation were similar between alcoholics and non-alcoholics (up to 60 percent at 7 years following transplant), concerns about alcohol relapse post-transplant have made the practice somewhat controversial, especially in light of the shortage of donor organs. To offset this risk, it is common practice to establish a 6 month period of abstinence from alcohol before listing a patient for liver transplant. Not only may improvement in liver function result, but higher rates of relapse have been reported in patients who have abstained for less than 6 months before undergoing transplantation. Although several previous studies analyzed the rate of alcohol relapse after liver transplantation and its influence on patient survival and transplant success, researchers had previously not studied patients for a longer follow-up period.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=21623

:w00t:  :doh:

836730[/snapback]

Technically 2nd most common is correct. 2nd most common equates to ~12.5%. (NIAAA)

Thus I would hardly as consider it as common as regular OLT nor are OLT’s for ALD done as capriciously as you imply. Try reading as opposed to finding a paragraph that you think will back up your broad brush approach.

Right, those bullet points are definitive and there is no more complex criteria involved  ;)

Technically 2nd most common is correct.  2nd most common equates to ~12.5%.  (NIAAA)

Thus I would hardly as consider it as common as regular OLT nor are OLT’s for ALD done as capriciously as you imply. Try reading as opposed to finding a paragraph that you think will back up your broad brush approach.

836826[/snapback]

Stop feeding the !@#$ing troll, dumbass! :w00t:

Roughly half of 33, and roughly a third of 45.

But only roughly.  Which makes me wonder about the engineering of a turntable.  Those are odd gear or belt ratios...

836810[/snapback]

Here's The Straight Dope on why there is the 33/45/78 speeds, and a minor mention on the 16.

Here's a How Turntables Work article.

And this dude is selling an old 4-speed table on Craig's list.