A little insight on the flight from Buff

oregonbbfan

Many of the old timers on this board can verify much of what I will enlighten those who have not been through it. This is no way a shot at my home town which I still root for in football, hockey and even basketball when the Braves and McAdoo were there. I used to go to War Memorial and Offerman to see our teams. Was thrilled when the Bills came to Buffalo in '60 and all the drafts, hiding of players and stealing players from other teams which eventually forced the AFL/NFL merger. So I've been there and supported all our teams. Been to several games when they came to play the LA Rams and Raiders when both were in LA. Saw all the great players and still see all games in Football and Hockey on Direct TV.

I was born, raised and educated in Buffalo and grew up in a great town during the '50s. I lived on the east side ( Fillmore and Utica ) and could travel around 90% of town with little fear. Try that now. In a recent trip back there I and my best friend took a ride to the old neighborhood and thought I was in bombed out Germany. I am sorry to see what has happened to my home town because you never lose your roots but still have to make economic decisions.

Many are too young to know this but I saw the town change overnight in about '59 or '60 when NY State removed residency requirement for welfare. People could now move to NY and get welfare immediately. Many moved there to make it quickly a town with many needs in health, housing, crime and more taxes to finance it all. This welfare change and the fact that politicians did not and still do nothing to give tax incentives to companies to move there. Unions and nepitism also play a part. Until there is a good industrial tax base people will be moving out, not in.

When I left for Califoria in '63 for a vacation I had no idea what a different world it was outside Buffalo. I got a job in one day and another, better job in 2 weeks. Oportunities abounded. After retiring from a large medical company two years ago I looked at moving back to Buffalo but could see who will be paying all the taxes and decided on Oregon which has NO sales tax and lower cost housing and taxes. Still has the season changes, nice people but no where near the good food.

You all may think I'm full of it, may disagree but it is the truth.

Many of the old timers on this board can verify much of what I will enlighten those who have not been through it. This is no way a shot at my home town which I still root for in football, hockey and even basketball when the Braves and McAdoo were there. I used to go to War Memorial and Offerman to see our teams. Was thrilled when the Bills came to Buffalo in '60 and all the drafts, hiding of players and stealing players from other teams which eventually forced the AFL/NFL merger. So I've been there and supported all our teams. Been to several games when they came to play the LA Rams and Raiders when both were in LA. Saw all the great players and still see all games in Football and Hockey on Direct TV. 

I was born, raised and educated in Buffalo and grew up in a great town during the '50s.  I lived on the east side ( Fillmore and Utica ) and could travel around 90% of town with little fear.  Try that now. In a recent trip back there I and my best friend took a ride to the old neighborhood and thought I was in bombed out Germany.  I am sorry to see what has happened to my home town because you never lose your roots but still have to make economic decisions.

Many are too young to know this but I saw the town change overnight in about '59 or '60 when NY State removed residency requirement for welfare. People could now move to NY and get welfare immediately. Many moved there to make it quickly a town with many needs in health, housing, crime and more taxes to finance it all. This welfare change and the fact that politicians did not and still do nothing to give tax incentives to companies to move there. Unions and nepitism also play a part. Until there is a good industrial tax base people will be moving out, not in. 

When I left for Califoria in '63 for a vacation I had no idea what a different world it was outside Buffalo.  I got a job in one day and another, better job in 2 weeks. Oportunities abounded. After retiring from a large medical company two years ago I looked at moving back to Buffalo but could see who will be paying all the taxes and decided on Oregon which has NO sales tax and lower cost housing and taxes. Still has the season changes, nice people but no where near the good food. 

You all may think I'm full of it, may disagree but it is the truth.

709631[/snapback]

No doubt a big factor when you look at. NY took care of everyone with social programs and government jobs except they could not force businesses to stay to foot the bill. I am not saying these programs and government should not exist at all but there is a fine line that a lot of other states seemed to have figured out. Even if (impossibly speaking) NY went to the extreme with pro business policies it woud still take a while to thaw out.

Even if (impossibly speaking) NY went to the extreme with pro business policies it woud still take a while to thaw out.

709660[/snapback]

Will never happen. And I don't see any point in spending my 20's and 30's in a part of the world run by retards.

NYC can survive just about every bad policy Albany whips up because it's NYC, one of the biggest of the big cities in the world. Meanwhile, the rest of the state is devastated and no one can figure out why. But I'm sure everything will get better one Elliot Spitzer is elected and hires more state workers. :doh: