Levy banking Moulds will take a pay cut and stay

While Moulds always has the right to refuse to play (and thus not get paid) I think the Bills are in the drivers seat on this one and Marv is playing it that way.

Crunch time for us looks like it may be around June 1st IF Moulds is due some bonus then that we cannot afford to risk him not playing, but at that point post draft and just before camp, opponents have pretty much spent we they can or will spend and rosters are set.  If Moulds is released at that point, he likely signs for chump change probably with a team that is not going anywhere and from this based this older man is looking to make a case for rewarding him as an FA next year.

It looks bad for EM.

The Bills have him under contract and cannot be forced to move him unless they blink.  If they remain tough they can:

1. Let Moulds do the initial trade work for them.

2. Hold out like the Bills did with Travis and get maximum value for him in a trade.

3. Worse comes to worse force Moulds to either resign with us (kissing his teammates butts big time to get back in their good graces) or see him monkey around forcing us to pay him while he does not try hard this season,  However, if he did this it would not put him in great shape for being an FA becayse this 30+ year old guy would be coming off of two unproductive seasons in a row with his teammates on the Bills badmouthing him around the league for being a bad teammate this year if he merely punched the clock.

Its a dangerous game as EM can screw the Bills if he also willing to screw himself out pf # and the respect of his peers.  I doubt he will do this so Marv should continue to say nice things about EM and let him either work to get us a good deal or simply twist in the winds..

639409[/snapback]

I don't understand. Eric WANTS to play for the Bills. At the current signed contract. So if the Bills "insist" he'll play for the big money he wants. If however, he were released, as he wishes, he would be in the drivers seat and able to get a bidders war going. Good too.

I think it is fair to assume that no one is going to pick up EM at the 10 mill rate. So the last alternative and worst one, is that Eric negotiates a trade, a new contract and a player for the Bills all by himself? Nah. The only reason he has agreed to look for a deal is to let all the teams out there start talking about how much they would pay him after he is released. Since the Bills must release him. The only slight leverage the Bills have is to hold onto him well past free agency time and hope teams run out of money. That isn't going to happen though. Teams will always have money, and Eric can sit out training camp and get a better deal after someone gets hurt or play for 1 year.

This is a long way around saying, Eric is holding the cards in this one.