Steve Sax...David Duval.....Nate Clements?

While I was watching the game (sic) today I had one of those ?huh moments watching Nate get repeatedly burned. Has his free agent season got so deep between his ears that the guy has forgot how to play? Or is he soooo convinced before the play that he might get burned that it inevitably happens? Seriously... he looks as if he has completely lost it in coverage this year. I still think he's a solid corner; but the best part of this year for him is the fact that it ended today.

P.S. I'm also tired of announcers saying what a good tackler he is. Coming up in run support and diving at a guys legs (with no attempt to wrap him up) hardly defines a great tackle®. This isn't so much directed at Nate as it is the announcers who repeatedly rave about those "tackles."

when is the draft? ;)

Actually Nates tackles are textbook....Smaller guys are told to go low with there tackles....A guy like Clements cant stay heads up and wrap up and tackle, not strong enough....

547579[/snapback]

I'd disagree. I don't expect him to hit Jerome Bettis shoulder to shoulder but you can go at a guys knees and still make an attempt to wrap his legs up. One thing no one is taught is to dive at a runner's ankles with your face in the dirt. Half the time he hits them with his back in barrel roll style. That is definitely not textbook. All I'm saying is you at least have to attempt to get your upper body involved in the tackle.

While I was watching the game (sic) today I had one of those ?huh moments watching Nate get repeatedly burned.  Has his free agent season got so deep between his ears that the guy has forgot how to play?  Or is he soooo convinced before the play that he might get burned that it inevitably happens?  Seriously... he looks as if he has completely lost it in coverage this year.  I still think he's a solid corner; but the best part of this year for him is the fact that it ended today. 

P.S.  I'm also tired of announcers saying what a good tackler he is.  Coming up in run support and diving at a guys legs (with no attempt to wrap him up) hardly defines a great tackle®.  This isn't so much directed at Nate as it is the announcers who repeatedly rave about those "tackles."

when is the draft? ;)

547556[/snapback]

Please do not insult David Duval.

I agree, seeing that David is my second cousin I take offense to that.

547600[/snapback]

Certainly not meant to be personal. In fact, I'm a big fan of all three examples that I gave. The point is that the mind can be an extremely powerful detriment....in sports and life.

Certainly not  meant to be personal.  In fact, I'm a big fan of all three examples that I gave.  The point is that the mind can be an extremely powerful detriment....in sports and life.

547610[/snapback]

Daivid went through some rough mental times....divorce all kinds of crap us normal people go through..he is making a comeback...now Nate....I could enjoy football without him

Daivid went through some rough mental times....divorce all kinds of crap us normal people go through..he is making a comeback...now Nate....I could enjoy football without him

547614[/snapback]

Glad to hear he's coming around. He and "you know who" had potential for a great long term rivalry. Hope he makes it. Sundays at the turn are a lot more exciting with him.