Moving from Florida but where to go????

I live in NJ, but work for a company in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC. It is really nice there. Each of the three cities has a different character and all have their advantages and disadvantages. Property values have risen some, but there are still some magnificent deals to be had, especially if you do not mind being off the beaten path. The weather is mild and it is probably one of the more cosmopolitan places in the country - lots of people have moved there from everywhere - high percentage of college graduates as well.

"

in response to why not WNY?? - The answer is drive down Walden Avenue. Drive down Bailey and drive down Genesee Street. It sickens me to see what has become of our home. The high taxes, high rate of poverty, run down, dated neighborhoods, my wife would be miserable. The morale is at it's lowest point and it's not exciting to live in Buffalo anymore. Once you live in a warm, modern city with growth, Buffalo is hard to accept. I wish the city could rebound, but i think it is done. I still love the place. Fly home often for games and read the News daily online. I moved back for one school year in 2000 and after being back 6 months, I wanted to cry, I couldn't wait to leave. Last week I was in town for the KC game and was helping a buddy move from Cheektowaga, I couldn't help but think that if forced to live in Cheektowaga, it would be like a death sentence. - true story ( my exact thoughts)

Thank You. I knew the answer, but I wanted to see it documented from someone who has lived both in and out of the state. You provide a good snapshot of how this state has gone into an economic freefall.

NYS, in general, is a total mess that it will not get out of in my lifetime. We pay more intaxes than any other state. The tax burden on every man, woman and child is damn near $4600 a pop. We pay an average of almost 12 cents per kilawatt hour for electricity... 2nd highest in the country, right behind Hawaii. The national average is 8 cents/kw hour. Over the past 5 years, NYS weighs in at nearly a 12% economic growth rate. The rest of the country showed a 21% growth rate over the same period. And, NYS has the finest welfare benefits that a taxpayers dollar can buy. Workers Compensation insurance is the highest in the country in NYS, two and three times more than in other states. Insurance, in general, is higher than in most states. NYS is almost immediately eliminated when it comes to International companies wanting to move in because of the high cost of doing business. When a company looks at the taxation, cost of electricity, and WC insurance, it's a no brainer. Avoid NYS, period. Even companies that have been located in this state for a long period can't get in on any federal gov't. contracts, unless they've got something else that can't be gotten elsewhere, because they can't compete with companies outside of NYS due to the high cost of doing business in this state.

We have the world's laziest and most corrupt politicians... and I'm not being partisan. Jim Bruno, Sheldon Silver, UpChuck Schumer, Shillary Clinton, are just a few of the names that stand out... there are plenty more, believe me... on both sides of the aisle... Red or Blue, it just doesn't seem to matter... they're all scumbags.

I've lived my whole life in this state. But it sucks to live here anymore. I've got another 5 to 8 to go before I get the "F" out of here... and I can't wait. It will be sweet to be on your end... visiting NYS rather than living in this welfare sesspool.