The proverbial Hall of Fame debate

lawnboy1977

I stumbled onto the Hall of Fames website today just for kicks. If you haven't ever been there its nice to look at during the regular season because they update the top 20 all-time leaders every week. There's constant changes in some of the categories, mainly passing and receiving. I've noticed quite a few people making an argument for stats for guys like Andre Reed and thurman Thomas, and rightfully so. Whn you look at the top 20 lists as they currently stand though, I don't think stats ar worth a piece of cow dung!

Example:

Among the top 20 passers in league history(Minimum 1500 attempts)

KURT WARNER, DAUNTE CULPEPPER, TOM BRADY, TRENT GREEN, JEFF GARCIA, DREW BREES, BRIAN GRIESE, MATT HASSELBECK, MARK BRUNELL and Brad Johnson. Not exactly what I would call the greatest group of QBs to come out in the last 30 years. Obviously the passer rating system heavily favors the last 15 years of pro football.

Conversly, looking at the top receivers of all time:

The top ten includes:

Andre Reed, Art Monk, Irving Fryar, Henry Ellard, Michael Irvin and Andre Rison. Of all of those, only Irvin is considered by many to a favorite to be voted to the Hall this year. Ellard and Monk have been eligible for years now, and Reed is among the tope ten all time in receptions, yards and TDs. Go figure.

Just a topic for debate, anyone care to throw in their 2 cents?

PFHOF