So, When do we become a physical...

DeeRay

... smash mouth offense?

Isn't/wasn't this offense supposed to be exactly that?

how many times this season have we run on 3 consecutive downs. i'm not sure it was more than once, if that many.

at least if we had a smash mouth offense, we'd consume some clock and keep our pussycat defense on the sidelines.

... smash mouth offense?

Isn't/wasn't this offense supposed to be exactly that?

how many times this season have we run on 3 consecutive downs.  i'm not sure it was more than once, if that many.

at least if we had a smash mouth offense, we'd consume some clock and keep our pussycat defense on the sidelines.

485790[/snapback]

tough to accomplish that goal when NO ONE respects the pass and constantly stacks 8 men in the box.......if our QB can't complete a toss over 15 yards why would they defend it?

tough to accomplish that goal when NO ONE respects the pass and constantly stacks 8 men in the box.......if our QB can't complete a toss over 15 yards why would they defend it?

485818[/snapback]

That doesn't seem to stop Pittsburgh. But again, Pittsburgh has a lot more chemistry in their o-line than Buffalo does.

These Bills haven-t played one full game together since the preseason. OK, maybe Texas, but I seem to recall Villariel had to go out in that game too.

I think Mularkey wants to think this is a ball control offense. Ball control suggests they mix up pass equally with the run. The only concern is to keep the 3rd down conversion high, just move the chains and stay on the field.

There is a problem with this in that the linemen HAVE to be in good physical shape. With all the injuries and the size of this line, they are either injured, OR tired. When you are tired, you begin to have mental lapses and take penalties.

The Bills do have a conditioning problem. Mularkey is consistently saying how tired the linemen are getting, but I have to question, how can these guys get tired when the D is on the field all the time???

That doesn't seem to stop Pittsburgh. But again, Pittsburgh has a lot more chemistry in their o-line than Buffalo does.

These Bills haven-t played one full game together since the preseason. OK, maybe Texas, but I seem to recall Villariel had to go out in that game too.

I think Mularkey wants to think this is a ball control offense. Ball control suggests they mix up pass equally with the run. The only concern is to keep the 3rd down conversion high, just move the chains and stay on the field.

There is a problem with this in that the linemen HAVE to be in good physical shape. With all the injuries and the size of this line, they are either injured, OR tired. When you are tired, you begin to have mental lapses and take penalties.

The Bills do have a conditioning problem. Mularkey is consistently saying how tired the linemen are getting, but I have to question, how can these guys get tired when the D is on the field all the time???

485856[/snapback]

even though PIT doesn't throw the ball often, opponents still respect the pass because when they do throw it they often burn the opposition......its not 'doing it' but the threat that you can 'do it'.........the bills don't pose that threat.......

485856[/snapback]

Good post. Was Rusty Jones perhaps our biggest loss this offseason?

485856[/snapback]

If conditioning is a problem, maybe the organization shouldn't have let or made Rusty Jones leave. Would you have let this man go?:

Rusty Jones Position: Strength and Conditioning Coordinator

A veteran of 20 NFL seasons, Rusty Jones was hired as the Bears strength and conditioning coordinator on February 3, 2005. Coming to Chicago from Buffalo, Jones is just the third full-time strength coach in team history since the position was created in 1974. Jones had spent his entire NFL career with the Buffalo Bills after being hired in June of 1985. He spent 19 years as their strength and conditioning coordinator before being promoted to director of physical development/assistant to the head coach prior to the 2004 season. During his tenure in Buffalo, Jones worked under six head coaches including Hall of Famer Marv Levy and worked with over 25 different Pro Bowlers including Hall of Famers Jim Kelly and James Lofton. The Bills qualified for the playoffs in 10 of Jones' 20 seasons with the team, including four consecutive Super Bowl appearances. Recognized around the NFL as one of the finest strength, conditioning and nutrition experts in the business, Jones was instrumental in creating a nutritional program specifically designed for each Bills player to maximize performance and to maintain year-round health. Jones gained league-wide notoriety for getting Buffalo's players in top physical condition while the Bills enjoyed success running the "no-huddle" offense in the early 1990's. Prior to joining the Bills in June of 1985, Jones spent two years as the conditioning supervisor for the DeBartolo Corporation, working in Pittsburgh with the Penguins, Spirit and Maulers (1983-84). Jones earned a physical education degree from Springfield College (Mass.) and taught for two years at Dover High School in New Hampshire. The native of Berwick, Maine and Noble High School returned to Springfield to earn a master's degree in exercise physiology (1979-82), serving as a graduate assistant with the football program during that time. Jones and his wife, Sharon, have one son, Tyler. Sharon is a professional singer who often performed the national anthem at Bills games.

actual link: http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coachbio.jsp?id=6494

I don't know enough about our current strength and conditioning coach but why did we let one of the best in the business leave? If our offensive linemen are tired after the performance they're giving something is very wrong.